8/30 Provo Boat Harbor 78L Wave/5.2 M

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

8/30 Provo Boat Harbor 78L Wave/5.2 M

Postby RickHeninger » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:05 pm

Well, that made up for anything I didn't get this weekend. Was that some sweet wind or what... Josh S. and I sailed wonderfully powered on 5.2's... Although Josh was on his new baby (JP FS100)... I thought that I'd have to bust out the Minstral Flow 115L but tried the 78L first and had a session for the books. Great ramps and on a strong North like that the new jetty has a Hatchery type swell shadow that you can come into some flat water for tricks... What a great launch...

Brian Kelm and a couple friends arrived when it was beginning to notch down around 1PM... So in the lull Brian started stacking rocks strategically to make for a better launch at the end of the jetty in the crease... Thanks Brian...

I was spent by the end of the 4 hour session... What a beautiful day this one turned out to be... And great to hear that we made an all out assault on Utah Lake, taking it from all angles it sounds like. Also, I noticed that the water is really not that chocolatey compared to the last few years.
RickHeninger
Site Admin

Postby Josh Shirley » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:14 pm

I just have to mention that when I got up at seven the first thing I did was run out to check the wind. Nothing in Salt Lake, so I jumped on the internet and checked a live camera link at the Provo Harbor.
http://www.utahlakeview.com check this one out. When I saw the white caps washing over the end of the jetti and the Provo airport reading I knew it was going to be a good session. Now I just need to sell extra auto insurance policies to make up for the ones I missed this morning.
Best session in months.
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

COOL CAMERA!

Postby Sarah Ranes » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:09 am

That is really great...you can't do any better than that! Now if we can get them to install that system at the rest of our WS lakes. NOTE TO MYSELF...... On your day off - learn to get up early and check the wind speeds right away. Glad to hear that you guys had such a good session. I was on the other side of the lake and didn't arrive until about 11am. I still had a great day, but missed some of the best wind of the day early. I got in about 90 minutes on a 5.4 well powered, and then it shut down a bit. Got some good schlog and tack practice to make it back up wind and into the marina.
Had good company...Tom Smart...(thanks for the photos!) Tom Whitke, Ken O, Mark L, Kevin S, Louis, Carl C, Chipper, Gary, Eric, Steve all had smiles on their faces. It was a good day!
Sarah Ranes

Return to Wind Log