9/3 Sat - 9/5 Mon, YUBA WORLD, 5.2M, 78L and 115L Windy

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

9/3 Sat - 9/5 Mon, YUBA WORLD, 5.2M, 78L and 115L Windy

Postby RickHeninger » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:28 pm

Well, I finally got back to Yuba after two years of not sailing there... We arrived Saturday morning to a dying thermal... Just enough to set up the screen tent... It then turned on and didn't turn off until Monday at around 3PM...

We camped on the North Beach and as always there was plenty of auburn head connectors to be seen... But, not noisy, the wind kept it relatively quiet... The wind blew strong on Saturday but there were clouds associated with it until about 1PM and the blue skyline came overhead and the wind remained... I actually rode the 7.4 super overpowered for a bit and then went down to the 5.2M and 115L board for the next 4 hours... Probably could've rigged smaller at some points.

I only needed to rig the 5.2M after saturday. Sunday it blew ALL day a cool southsoutheast in the AM hours shifting uninterupted at around noon to a warmer southsouthwest flow... I rode the 115L board in the morning and at noon went to the 78L for the rest of the day... Not kidding... my arms started getting that strained feel... Had to take numerous breaks... I was ready for a break in the wind... It wouldn't come until Monday around 2PM...

My brother, who is a beginner was able to ride some white knuckle, arm stretching, lower back cramping rides... As he is not in a harness yet! I couldn't believe the wind. I don't know if it was a fluke or if it simply blows a lot down there in the fall..

Negatives: A little cool on the north beach with so much air conditioned wind (for bro's wife), the regular tent blowing (recommend something solid to sleep in), my nephew cut his foot on a peice of glass in the water! big negative. I think that west beach would be better for no glass. Although he was the only one to even feel a peice of glass in the water. In fact, it was right by shore and where he did it we found a few old beer cans (burned)... We surmised that he had found a recently uncovered old firepit. Because there really wasn't that much trash on the bottom.

Positives: the "algae bloom" was not to be seen, the water was relatively clean. When windy, no boats on lake. Also, I never saw one midge fly, and I didn't see a mosquito until monday evening when the wind had been dead for a few hours.

Click on the "5 day"

http://www.met.utah.edu/cgi-bin/roman/m ... 5&hour1=10

NOTE: The wind actually felt less gusty than the wind graphs show... It actually was filled in very nicely... I can't make complete sense of why Yuba graphs appear so gusty, (this weekend at least). It is definitely different than Sulphur gustiness... Sulphur wind seems more holey, whereas Yuba wind seems more full and lull... Although this weekend it just didn't seem as gusty as the graphs show.
RickHeninger
Site Admin

A return to Yubakastan

Postby John Dubock » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:42 pm

You can always come home Rick, fill up on some more fine Yuba stories. The gusty meter might be from where the meter is located. It used to be on the Oasis Ranger Station, sit and watch it in disbelief sometime. Open the front door and the wind meter jacks up. Open the ice machine and it jacks up. Its in a big time wind hole.
John Dubock

Return to Wind Log