Summer 2005 was great!!

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

Summer 2005 was great!!

Postby bigwavedave » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:15 pm

In the Gorge that is!! My arms were always too tired to post on the windlog but I just want to let everyone that was in the gorge how much I enjoy seeing the familiar faces up there. It was a great summer of mostly 4.2 sailing. My 2nd to last day I was sailing my 4.7 and was thinking "wow . . this feels really big and heavy" . . That's when I realized it had been waaay too long since I've actually sailed in Utah due to my wind snobbiness. Not that I will be chasing down wind to sail my 8.7 sail in, but it would probably do me good to get out and actually sail on days other than being selective to the NOA small craft advisory days. That way when I'm grunting and attempting to throw a forward loop on my 4.7 instead of thinking . . wow . . this is big . . I can barely clear my mast . . I'll be thinking . . wow . . . this is so much easier than looping my 7.5 with the 15 foot tall mast and my starboard 300 liter doublewide hull with pontoons and 6 fins. In fact if I can stick with the program, sail in Utah this fall through next spring then next year at the gorge I'll be so buff that maybe I'll pull out my 7.5 rigged on a 15 foot tall mast and my starboard doublewide hull with pontoons and 6 fins and launch it from the balancy slippery rocks on the point at the Hatchery and wow the crowd by throwing a double flaka vulcan spock wilmer skipper in 30 knots of wind. So I'm begging you all to let me know when the wind is going to blow hard enough to keep the mating flies out of my van but soft enough to sail something slightly larger than my 4.2 sail. You'll be doing me a favor - just think of it as a volunteer rehab program for a no-longer recognized utah sailor.
bigwavedave

Give it a couple weeks...

Postby RickHeninger » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:58 pm

Dave,

I am with you, it is great to ride in the Gorge and come up out from under your sail while a huge swell pushes down only to see Gunars jibing 30 feet away... Of course, not only Gunars but many other faces in which you see that deep satisfaction that comes with being overpowered on a 4.2 and thinkng nothing of it. Only continuing to sail where ever we are can we continue to appreciate those opportunities all the more. So give yourself a couple of weeks to get over the tendonitis and whatever other bruises you may have brought home from the Gorge and the 5.2M, 5.8M, 6.7M, sails will become your friends once again (I don't think that you own anything bigger)... I tell ya, Yuba this weekend made me feel like I was back in Oregon... Give it a couple of weeks... ;)
RickHeninger
Site Admin

Return to Wind Log