DC, 9.11, pleasantly breezy.

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

DC, 9.11, pleasantly breezy.

Postby Carl Christensen » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:25 pm

Deer Creek. 5.4m2 and loving the clear sweet mountain water not that I was complaining all that much at SSB yesterday. Did yard work after a leisure morning with the paper as per Jason M., then checked in with a phone call to Jim's DC weather station at 3pm. Who'd a thunk? It was reporting gusts in the 20's or so. (Correct me, Jim.) My gear was still covered wilth sand from SSB yesterday so I headed up to see what I could get washed. I fully expected to rig the usual slalom gear and have a great time but found myself honestly considering a 5.4 on my small board when I got there. Feeling on a roll after the 4.7 yesterday I rigged it and rallied with Jim S, Alberto and team Dubock on clean fresh mountain ramps. Steve N was relegated to spectator status by his launch injury last week, but he showed only support and encouragement for the rest of us. Jim S sure was ripping with a 4.6; he uses the whole darn lake too. I mean he goes like a banshee wall to wall. BTW, there were no boats, no jet skis and no water wienies as far as the eye could see so we made ourselves right at home reaching all the way to the beach and jibing at will even inside the bay as there was not a soul there but us windstarved sailors. Ah, yes. After a while I started to forget what it was like to sail any other way. It was the kind of day you kind of expect to see Dimitri materialize as if he knew it was ggoing to happen all along. Team Dubock said Evanston was lit up pretty good too. They did the double, Evanston to Heber, it's on the way. Wow, nice effort, makes me feel lazy but lucky to get the goods relatively closer to home. As for other sites Jordanelle looked sailable but not near as frothy when I drove by and my Dad called to tell me Utah Lake was a cappin' at 6 so I wonder if anyone got that too. Thanks Dad. Overall, it might have been my best day ever at DC though. How often do I get on a 5.4 like that?.
Carl C.
Carl Christensen

SC Sunday

Postby John Dubock » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:22 am

The front ripped through at 2pm, went from nothing to 4.7 in a Buffalo heartbeat. Emmanual rigged a 4.7 with 80 something liter board and ripped it alone. We didn't bring the little stuff, and inspired by E's infamous 4 Lakes in One day Epic we drove to DC.

If you want to measure a stoke meter to this sport consider Trevor on Sat completed the 1st ever Mid Mountain marathon, 26 miles at 8,000 feet, Deer Valley to the Canyons. 6.5hrs, up/down, two extra miles due to moose on the trail, Troy rode his bike at 6am to a solitary sunrise at the 8mile mark as Trevors Continous Mobile Aid Station. Trev was first in his age group, and couldn't wait to sail on Sunday. Powered by cold Root Beers, hating to miss Utah wind, who says the next Generation is gonna be fatties?
John Dubock

Postby JimSouthwick » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:37 am

Carl's kind words are much appreciated. But the real stars were Carl (duck jibes and some excellent air) and DC old-timer (since 1979) Tim Snyder, who was flying on a 6.6 at a time when I was struggling with a 4.5 rigged VERY flat. As Carl mentioned, the wind got off to a late start (about 1:45) but once it got going, it made up for lost times. The strong wind combined with a virtual absence of powerboats made for a beautifully clean swell.

:D

http://homepage.mac.com/jsouthwick/PhotoAlbum47.html
JimSouthwick

Return to Wind Log