The new Rush delivers - Jordanelle 9/11 Sumo 105, 6.7

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

The new Rush delivers - Jordanelle 9/11 Sumo 105, 6.7

Postby DimitriMilovich » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:36 am

Carl was right, I was about to show at DC, but following the variant rule, "don't drive by wind to find wind", I was on Jordanelle at 3:45 fully wound on my 6.7. Planing 90% of the timewith plenty of white-knuckled periods. All alone, a couple of boats in the distance. One jet ski and a few seagulls. Sorry I wasn't able to join the gang at DC, but maybe next time!

It backed off around 5:00 and my 7.5 wouldn't get me going after that. The local watersports shop guy said it started around 2:00 for what that's worth (maybe not much, since Heber airport was only 2 out off the West at 2:00). By the way, the new number for J-Bay park is: 435-649-9148. Anyway, with the clear skies the wind was really quite steady for J-bay. Sadly though, the snack bar that featured the Jamaican jerk chicken, fried bananas and Red Stripe Beer has closed for the season. Rumor has it that they've an operation in Park City, but that will need some research. ON THE BRIGHT SIDE -- As I drove back to the on-ramp to the highway right after exiting the J-Bay state park, I noticed a sign that said "Floyd's - margueritas $3.00". What was this? 5 minutes later, I was sitting in the sun on Floyd's patio at the whatever Lodge that is just on your right as you exit the park, enjoying a righteous blended marguerita made with Blue Curacao. Fine way to end the day!
Dimitri
DimitriMilovich

Postby Carl Christensen » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:25 pm

I don't blame you for stopping at good enough, I almost did the same but since the wind wasn't based on a strong south push I gambled, (real brave, I know), and forged ahead. And what do you know, DC was giving up smoothies like it was Christmas. oooh. I owe it all to Jim's UWA weather phone. Where's the bar graph from that thing, Jim? There are plenty of 5.4 gusts that come through DC on lots of days but there is no way I'd be out there waiting for them on my little board. This was different, real filled in and trimmed up good, there was no penalty for being on a smaller sail. Jim was on a 6.6 and team Dubock was on mid 5's. Seems unusual to be sailing small but it was plenty fast. I'll take it any way it comes. Now where are those margaritas? BTW, I like J bay and hope we can get more sailors there more often. Good to see Jim S. sampling it recently, hope you and he can figure it out for us.
Carl C.
Carl Christensen

Postby JimSouthwick » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:18 am

I was on a 4.5 actually. Tim Snyder was on the 6.6, which continues to amaze me! The anemometer charts are at: http://homepage.mac.com/jsouthwick/PhotoAlbum47.html

Thanks, Dimitri, for the new J-bay phone #; it's going on my autodialer right now! BTW, Tim Snyder lives in Silver Summit and is a frequent flyer at J-bay. He drove on past Sunday because he felt that the wind was a little too much out of the West.
JimSouthwick

Return to Wind Log