Sun, 9/18, DC Island

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

Sun, 9/18, DC Island

Postby JimSouthwick » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:52 am

Who'd have guessed? DC offered up a couple of hours of fairly strong, steady (at least by DC standards) wind after another very gusty start. Sail sizes ranged from my 5.3 to "Utah Lake" Steve's 6.5 (I think that's what he had on.) George Ward won the day on his Carve 131 powered by a 5.7.

The moral of the story? (1.) DC is notoriously hard to predict. (2.) The windspeed reported by the Weather Talker is a one minute running average, so in gusty conditions, it tends to be quite a bit lower than the peak windspeed in the gusts; probably the sort of data someone interested in power generation would want, but not ideal for evaluating windsurfing potential. The time and magnitude of the "peak gust today" can be helpful.

http://homepage.mac.com/jsouthwick/PhotoAlbum49.html
JimSouthwick

Re: Sun, 9/18, DC Island

Postby Craig Goudie » Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:21 pm

Well, you know I didn't guess it ;*) Glad you got rides buddy,

-Craig

DCJIM wrote:Who'd have guessed? DC offered up a couple of hours of fairly strong, steady (at least by DC standards) wind after another very gusty start. Sail sizes ranged from my 5.3 to "Utah Lake" Steve's 6.5 (I think that's what he had on.) George Ward won the day on his Carve 131 powered by a 5.7.

The moral of the story? (1.) DC is notoriously hard to predict. (2.) The windspeed reported by the Weather Talker is a one minute running average, so in gusty conditions, it tends to be quite a bit lower than the peak windspeed in the gusts; probably the sort of data someone interested in power generation would want, but not ideal for evaluating windsurfing potential. The time and magnitude of the "peak gust today" can be helpful.

http://homepage.mac.com/jsouthwick/PhotoAlbum49.html
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Return to Wind Log