Sat 9-24 Utah Lake Harbor

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

Sat 9-24 Utah Lake Harbor

Postby John Dubock » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:06 pm

8.0 at 3pm, 20-25k steady North by 4pm. Josh Shirley on a 6.3 having fun on the ramps outside. Trevor overpowered on a 6.5 inside the harbor. Excellent location to practice water starts, you can stand up in most places. Lots of room on the new jetty to park/rig and turnaround.
John Dubock

Postby Carl Christensen » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:39 pm

Nice. Where is the launch off of the jetty? I usually sail out of the harbor, then the forebay and then out the gap to the open water just to avoid launching off the rocks. Otherwise I would love to sail there more often. ps. I could sailors on the Lakeview cam earlier, was that Josh too?
Carl C.
Carl Christensen

Sat. UL State Park

Postby Steven Nyhus » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:49 am

I was there from about 9:30 to 12:00. If you look at the wind log from Provo Airport, that was the only time that the wind was not blowing. I got there to steady 16 knots and by the time I rigged and launched it was only blowing 8 to 10 knots. Not enough for the 7.0. I wish I could have gotten back for the late afternoon but I had other things to do. Launching off the rocks is not to bad, you just have to step carefully.
Steven Nyhus

Postby Josh Shirley » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:43 am

I arrived at the lake about 3:00 rigged my 8.0 and as soon as I was done the wind picked up a lot. I probably should have rigged a 5.8 but rigged my 6.3 instead and used my 100 liter JP. Very nice ramps. Powered up the whole time to slightly overpowered. Left the place at about 7:30 pm to get stuck in the BYU traffic. (Hey just because you lost doesn't mean you have to drive slow and get in accidents!)
In between sessions spoke to Rick Heninger on the phone as he watched on the camera. Had a full out search and rescue operation go on while I was sailing. I was able to see first hand how efficient they are about finding victims on the lake, which gives me a little more confidence that I won't die a chocolaty death.
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Return to Wind Log