11/4 Rush - only the desperate need apply

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

11/4 Rush - only the desperate need apply

Postby Kenny » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:46 pm

I was planning on going to Utah Lake, but I ran into a huge traffic jam at 7200 S. I decided to go to Rush instead, but fate had other things in store for me first. My rear tire blew out on 2100 S. I pulled over and changed the tire, no big deal. However, when I got in my car the battery was too low due to the flashers being on. I called the Highway Patrol and a guy came out in the Incident Management Truck and gave me a jump. An hour or so later, I was off and on my way! Drove through the Toole Valley with no sign of wind whatsoever. By this point, I figured I would just see if there was any water left. After I drove through Stockton and made the turn towards the lake, I was pleasantly surprised to see a glimmer of water. There is still some water in Rush, but there isn't a whole lot of it. I would say that the reach is about 100 yards and the vertical length of the lake/puddle is about a 1000 yards. Now for the fun part, the depth is only 1 - 3" with decorative tumbleweeds lodged all over the surface. The mud wasn't that bad because the weeds covered it up, so no postholing. There was a little bit of wind, so I pulled the fins off of my Slingshot Glide and pumped up my 30M kite. Rode nicely powered with enough power to go upwind, but not to jump. The reachs were so short that I started jibing closer and closer to shore, until I misjudged and did a 20 foot jibe through the on-shore mud. Fortunately, I did not eat it because I would have been covered in stinky goo from head to toe. Instead I managed to stay dry above my waist. All in all, better than I thought it would be as I was able to ride for 90 minutes or so. The good news is that there will be ice for snowkiting and a better start for next year on the water. Pray for lots of snow.
Kenny
Site Admin

wow Kenny... Props to you

Postby RickHeninger » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:18 pm

Kenny,

That is a hardcore story. You deserve some kind of award... I can't really decide what the name of it would be, but that is some hardcore dedication. Inspirational, really...
RickHeninger
Site Admin

Postby duanekarren » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:28 am

You are living proof that we wind addicts are all nuts :D
duanekarren

where do I apply???

Postby jason morton » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:16 pm

I'm desperate !!!!!!
jason morton

Postby Kenny » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:24 pm

Rick,

You deserve some kind of award... I can't really decide what the name of it would be, but that is some hardcore dedication.

The Darwin Award is probably appropriate.

I didn't realize that my deperate outings might actually be inspirational. If that is the case, I will have to tell everyone about the time I went kiteboarding on one of Morton Salt's evaporation ponds. Picture this - 107 degree heat, 6 - 12" of pure saline water, solid salt surface on the bottom. Rock steady wind at 17 mph. It was a Saturday, so no one was around. I didn't see any no trespassing signs, but I felt like I was poaching the whole time.

Kenny
Kenny
Site Admin

Return to Wind Log