Kiteboarding newbie

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

Kiteboarding newbie

Postby Mike Hill » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:07 am

I would like to start kiteboarding/skiing. Could someone give me info on purchasing some used gear and lesson or video info for the novice. It all just looks like too much fun to pass up. Thanks.
Mike Hill

Postby JimSouthwick » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:58 am

I have Ken Winner's introductory video, and you're welcome to borrow it.
JimSouthwick

Postby Kenny » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:07 am

Mike,

Winter is the best time to learn as snowkiting is easier to learn than kite boarding on the water. A good place to start is by contacting Brian and Heather Schenk at Ozone Kites. They will be doing kite demos and lessons at Skyline Drive. You can contact them at info@windzup.com. Another good place to learn a little more about the sport is to go to http://www.kiteforum.com and check out the snow/land boarding section.

I highly recommend taking a lesson before going out with a big kite and a snow board. A good way to start is with a trainer kite. After you have spent 3 - 5 hours flying the trainer kite, you are ready for a lesson. It is an extreme sport and the consequences of not following proper safety procedures can be fatal. However, it is exhillerating once you have learned.

Kenny
Kenny
Site Admin

Return to Wind Log