1/15-21/06 Kanaha, Maui Nice small gear, Nice winter trades

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

1/15-21/06 Kanaha, Maui Nice small gear, Nice winter trades

Postby rob smith » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:06 pm

Had the chance to go to an "Eye" meeting on Maui. Never one to turn away from knocks of oppurtunity. After the morning sessions on the sunny side, we parused the shops (second wind, Neil Pryde, etc.) and ended up getting some gear from Goya (I had the chance to talk with Francisco and he is very courteous and hospitable)I took a 77 l freewave and a 4.1 and a 4.7 with masts and booms imported form your city truly. We had some unusually consistent trade winds for this time of year. Add on some big swell (even for January), and it made for a humbling but fun sessions. There are kind of three areas at Kanaha and sometimes we got caught in the wash in the inbetween and oblique break that made for some mayhem. There were alot of turtles out that I always enjoy observing, lust lumbering along and occasionally poking their heads out in a slow methodical fashion. There was the Utah connection with running into Rick Markham in Paia across from Anthony's. He now owns some vacation rentals in Kuau and just recently bought three lots at the stoplight in Paia. He had a good scar from his boarding accident a few years ago but has not lost any function. Out in the swell beyond the break, two guys went flying by on slalom gear and big overpowering sails. I think I interfered when coming in with their video shoot. They were tweaking, trading and generally bavarding when I recognized Micah from some of the mags. I bet he misses slalom sailing at Rush. Just as I was coming in on the last day, Kevin Pritchard drove in, rigged and about 5 minutes he was sailing some nice waves on lower Kanaha. I did see him go down a few times and I think that made me feel a little better.

There is no place as relaxing or serene to me as sailing off the north shore. It has been about 14 years since we first rented Honeybuns place (now under a different name). It was very nice to go back as I had been nursing a torn thumb ligament for the past six months. Its amazing how these opposable functions tend to have such an impact on our livelihood. So after a long absence, i could again feel totally disconnected to the world, isolated and only taking in the almost primal sensations that give us our fill and reward.

Rob

/Users/robsmith/Desktop/hookipa.JPG
rob smith

Return to Wind Log