Monte Cristo 2/25

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

Monte Cristo 2/25

Postby Augie » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:30 pm

Korki and I went to Monto Cristo yesterday since we thought the winds may increase above our maximum speed later in the afternoon at our usual Powder Mountain riding area. Korki had his 14m and I had my 10m. Winds were about 15 most of the day, with higher gusts on the ridges. I decided to try and do some exploring and you wouldn't believe the terrain that I could see from the top. For those of you who haven't gone there before you may have heard me say that there is a bowl that is about a mile around where we typically go. That is just the tip of the iceberg. I could see enough terrain from the top for easily 1000 kites to fly. The cool thing about it is you couldn't design a better terrain park for kiting. the area is littered with rolling hills, gullies, bowls and big flat spaces. It could easily be as big as the Strawberry area. To get there: Go up the road to Monte Cristo snowmobile parking lot. Park at mile marker 36 and if the winds are right hook up and ride. The road is in kind of a dead wind spot so you may have to hike about a quarter mile down the packed cat track to the rise to rig. Someone needs to really go for a crosscountry session up there and explore- I think you can ride to Hardware Ranch or Powder Mountain from their if you knew where you were going.
Augie

Return to Wind Log