Willard Bay, North End, Still Closed...

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Willard Bay, North End, Still Closed...

Postby Marc » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:30 pm

The North end of Willard is still closed until further notice.... :x

http://www.stateparks.utah.gov/parks/willard-bay
Marc

Re: Willard Bay, North End, Still Closed...

Postby DaveHubbel » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:26 am

If you fear no diesel fuel, and the water gets low enough to expose the sand below the rocks of the reservoir walls, you can launch off the south end of the lake (offshore) if the water gets really low. It can be good non-nuclear 12m-9m wind when rush and other locales are getting too wild. nice smooth water but offshore, and there is a light wind/turbulent zone downwind of the reservoir wall so not for those without experience and good judgment should not give it a go. Also your vehicle is parked totally blind to the water and in a pretty remote location, so I wouldn't leave anything of value in it. The large jagged boulders that make up the walls of the reservoir on the west side and downwind side could easily maim or kill a kiter that got thrown into them. If there is sand on the west edge then there is lots more sand on the south side and launching there is so much safer. Also, wind is pretty dangerours along west edge when the wind starts to clock from S to SW, just don't go there with a kite still in the air. Look at google earth and roll back a few years and you can see where the sand is and isn't at low water.

without the sand extending off the south wall by 150 feet or so, the South wind wraps over the reservoir wall and blows back from the North at the surface preventing you from drifting your kite out into the water, so it's just not really doable at a full water level. I haven't been there this year so I do not know if it's low enough yet, but looks like its headed that way this year. Post a picture of the shore if you go!
DaveHubbel

Postby Marty Lowe » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:20 pm

When we were driving by on our way back from the Gorge,
saw that Willard north marina area is finally open.
The wter looks low, that means more beach for us.
Bring on the strong south winds!
Last edited by Marty Lowe on Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marty Lowe

Postby Vern Stokes » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:40 pm

I think Marty wanted to let people know that the North marina is open.
Vern Stokes

Postby Marty Lowe » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:29 pm

edited.
Marty Lowe

Return to Main Message Board