Wind Guru or other?

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Wind Guru or other?

Postby Glenn Wakefield » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:34 pm

Haven't kited in Utah before, I live in Mexico 8 months and we use Wind guru for our riding down there. Finally humped my stuff back up North for the summer and looking forward to checking out the riding locally (home in Heber Valley).

So... Craig's forecast is helpful for "day of" riding info, but if I want to plan for 2-3-4 days out, have you guys had much luck in Wind Guru or any of the other forecast services?

And if so, what specifically are you looking for with direction and speed for DC? For example... are ideal days a NE blow, a SE blow, NW blow? What types of wind speeds do you need reported on Guru to know if the forecast is reliable a few days out?

Thanks for any local 'guidance'.
Glenn Wakefield

Re: Wind Guru or other?

Postby JimSouthwick » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:12 am

Never used Wind Guru, so I can't comment on that. But I do live in the Heber Valley, so I've been watching DC for a long time.

SW is by far the best direction at DC.

The NWS only forecasts wind a few days in advance, and their predictions are usually on the low side but are still worth checking out: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... 7AdhJSwISa
Any time they predict SW winds of about 15 or above, DC's probably going to be rideable.

Hope this helps.

BTW, won't see me at BWB; I'm a poleboarder.
JimSouthwick

Return to Main Message Board