Deer Creek Mussel Protocol

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Deer Creek Mussel Protocol

Postby rob umstead » Mon May 04, 2015 9:43 am

Dawn Larsen the Deer Creek park manager asked me to pass along this information. Quagga mussels may be in the waters of Deer Creek Reservoir and therefor steps must be taken by everyone who launches a "vessel" in the waters. The park will be requiring everyone who is on the water on any type of craft (including sailboards, kite boards and SUPs)to have the appropriate paperwork on the dash of their car. She told me the park will be posting a sign regarding this and making forms available at BWB and Charleston boat ramp. In the meantime, you may need to go to the pay booth at Island Beach to get a form. She said that park employees will be coming to BWB and checking that everyone complies to the law. You can go online a get a season long certification form that is valid for 2015 by taking a mussel aware tutorial. The link is http://wildlife.utah.gov/invasive-mussels.html. Apparently, a wetsuit, or foot strap, that has been exposed to contaminated water can house these "veligers" and transport them to another body of water. This would mean that gear used in Deer Creek would be illegal to take to another body of water without being professionally decontaminated, or "dried out" for 18 days in the spring and 7 days in the fall. More information on these invasive species can be found at STDoftheSea.com. Please don't shoot the messenger, I know its a hassle.
rob umstead

Re: Deer Creek Mussel Protocol

Postby Leo Chan » Tue May 05, 2015 10:00 pm

Seems like a simple enough process. Since most of us uses only Deer Creek and Utah Lake (which is the down stream of Deer Creek) I don't think there will be any major issue.
Leo Chan

Postby Todd Jacques » Thu May 07, 2015 9:12 pm

Thanks Rob.
I am worried about this. We all better paly by the rules or be in trouble.
I just took test for the whole year.
Only takes one dummy to mess it up for everyone.
Todd Jacques

Postby gregwojtkun » Wed May 20, 2015 12:11 pm

I just completed and printed mine... It honestly takes 5 to 10 minutes. Get it done!
gregwojtkun

Postby Todd Jacques » Fri May 22, 2015 6:10 pm

great Greg. I wish more would. I brought it up to a few at barb wire a few weeks back and I think it went on deaf ears. As a matter of fact I got bashed. You would think this would be the smart thing to do? comply?
I laminated mine and have a parks pass. both are out on my dash when I kite.
Seems like a good way to stay on rangers good side. As rob said they will check. if they find people not doing it only shows a lack of respect for rules. Thus kiters with attitudes? BTW I will not participate on Facebook KWA. now they will probably kick me out. so be it.
they kicked me out. knew they were reading this
Last edited by Todd Jacques on Sat May 23, 2015 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Todd Jacques

Postby andrewcarey44 » Sat May 23, 2015 7:31 am

I've got my paperwork! Todd is right, the attitude has got to go. We are not skaters/snowboarders shredding the gnar, we've got to be responsible users of the areas where we kite or else we will lose launches. How would that be for the DNR guys to cruise by our line up of cars and see paperwork on every dash? Continue spreading the word about this work!
andrewcarey44

Postby obzansky » Wed May 27, 2015 1:57 pm

Leo, since no mussels have been detected at Utah Lake, it would seem that the law requires us to decontaminate when going from DC to Utah Lake. Am I reading this right?

Dave
obzansky

Postby JimSouthwick » Thu May 28, 2015 10:51 am

Does anyone know whether Jordanelle is contaminated with mussels?
JimSouthwick

Postby rob umstead » Thu May 28, 2015 12:45 pm

JimSouthwick wrote:Does anyone know whether Jordanelle is contaminated with mussels?

Jordanelle is clear of mussels....so far.
rob umstead

Postby Mike Hill » Thu May 28, 2015 5:29 pm

Obzansky you are right. Everyone should take the course and learn the proper course of action . If you leave Deer Creek or Lake Powell and plan on going anywhere else you NEED to decontaminate your equipment before you launch at any other location, whether that is in or out of state.
Mike Hill

Postby Marc Hauver » Fri May 29, 2015 9:40 am

passed the test yesterday. Not a big issue since whatever questions you miss you can redo answer and review the helps but it is educational and as Andrew has said shows we are willing to follow rules and are not the problem when issues arrive...
Marc Hauver

Postby Leo Chan » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:14 am

Dave, I am sure the rule would require that you always decontaminate your equipments after leaving Deer Creek. But I think Utah Lake is a special case for Deer Creek users: It is the same body of water! Well, not exactly the same as it is far dirtier and more deadly. :mrgreen: Deer Creek drains down to Utah Lake without any deep filtration. So, whatever can survive the deadly chemicals will live there. I don't think the water in Utah Lake is used for anything other than alfalfa. I think that's the main reason no one will enforce anything on Utah Lake.

Leo

obzansky wrote:Leo, since no mussels have been detected at Utah Lake, it would seem that the law requires us to decontaminate when going from DC to Utah Lake. Am I reading this right?

Dave
Leo Chan

Postby Todd Jacques » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:07 pm

That's a mouthful:) Did you read that from your office on the flag that was showing mid kite size?
You the man Chan....
Todd Jacques

Postby Leo Chan » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:23 am

Haha, I am at the beach in East Coast where it is blowing mid to small size condition! :lol:

Todd Jacques wrote:That's a mouthful:) Did you read that from your office on the flag that was showing mid kite size?
You the man Chan....
Leo Chan

Postby Grant McAllister » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:44 am

Ok...Just took the test and learned a lot! Since DeerCreek is considered contaminated with mussels, Leo is right! I`d have to decontaminate my board and rig before relaunching at Jordanelle or anywhere else. Since DC and Grantsville are my favorite sailing spots I`d technically have to decontaminate my board and rig before sailing Grantsville the next day!!
Grant McAllister

Return to Main Message Board