Beware of too much snow!

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Beware of too much snow!

Postby Leo Chan » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:16 am

Yesterday, as I was kiting at Strawberry River, the snow was so deep near the parking lot, it was hard to move around on your own. A few of us managed to have some fun in the mostly light and variable wind. As the wind got lighter, we all trying to make our way back to the parking lot. It took a lot more efforts than normal due to the fact that you can't really edge your skis or board.

I almost made it back to the parking lot until I made a huge mistake. I saw a big foil kite went down on the east side mountain and didn't get back up for sometime. So, I went up and check on it. It was related to the deep snow again. He was okay and I was trying to make my way back. The wind started to change direction a little bit and I thought it might be a good idea to get myself up the hill through valley just straight east from the parking lot, a spot we all know it is the dead wind zone. Sure enough, the kite dropped and I was having such a hard time getting it up, I waited and tried for 2 hours and not moved much.

I had my snowshoes with me and thought they might be able to get me out. But the snow was so deep, the snowshoes were causing more problems than help. In some area, the snow was chest deep. It is impossible to move without a lot of efforts. I shouldn't have wasted all the time and energy trying to get the kite up. I was only about 100 yards away from the snowmobile trail. I could have make it up there in an hour. Yes, it would take about an hour to move 100 yards because you have to dig out your own path. If I do get to the trail, the snow there is only about 2feet deep and wouldn't be as difficult to get out. It will still be a 2 to 3 hours trek back to the parking lot. But I probably would be visible before sunset.

So, the takeaway from this incident is this: don't go out too far on a day like that or don't go out at all unless you're prepared with all the emergency equipment. I have a shovel, water, food, flash light. But they were all in the car.

Happy kiting.
Leo Chan

Re: Beware of too much snow!

Postby pavel krasnov » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:36 am

Dang. Thats a lot of snow. Glad you made it back ok. I guess you should also keep a cell phone on you. There is spotty reception there. I need to get out there. I was kiting at a middle school feild by my house yesturday. Only had 6-8 inches on the ground with a lot of obstructions around, but it was still fun. It only took me 3 minutes to get back to the car there:)
pavel krasnov

Return to Main Message Board