Nice Blog Post On Andrew.... (And Rush Condition Discussion)

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Re: Nice Blog Post On Andrew....

Postby EdwardDalton » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:08 am

That access is not blocked off, and I can't see any no trespassing signs, in fact I saw a vehicle driving up it today. I don't have any pictures yet of that staging area, but I can tell you the water stops at about the fence, or a little below (south) of the bottom of your outlined staging area.
EdwardDalton

Postby gregwojtkun » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:25 am

EdwardDalton wrote:That access is not blocked off, and I can't see any no trespassing signs, in fact I saw a vehicle driving up it today. I don't have any pictures yet of that staging area, but I can tell you the water stops at about the fence, or a little below (south) of the bottom of your outlined staging area.

Thanks Edward - good info. Please give us an update on the water levels at the end of this week. Some more pics would be awesome!
gregwojtkun

Postby gregwojtkun » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:33 pm

This Friday (3/11) looking decent to perhaps tap Rush for the spring - Just so I don't get shot by myself from the new aggressive land owner, anyone else care to join? :)))
gregwojtkun

Postby Jacob Buzianis » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:57 pm

I will be there with some backup.
Jacob Buzianis

Postby EdwardDalton » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:46 am

Greg, Do you think you could bring out those Ozone kites you have for sale? I'd love to take a look at them and chat with you guys.
EdwardDalton

Postby gregwojtkun » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:58 am

Jacob Buzianis wrote:I will be there with some backup.

Thanks Jacob! I got some work to do in the AM but I should be down there around 1pm or so. I texted Andrew and he may join as well later after lunch assuming conditions set up good.
gregwojtkun

Postby gregwojtkun » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:03 am

EdwardDalton wrote:Greg, Do you think you could bring out those Ozone kites you have for sale? I'd love to take a look at them and chat with you guys.

I would but they are currently at my place in Puerto Rico (I was there in Dec/Jan for a couple weeks and left them there with a 50cmx25m bar). I'll be there in late April and will bring em back with me.

If you drive by Rush today can you give a quick report if the water level has come up since your last visit?
gregwojtkun

Re: Nice Blog Post On Andrew.... (And Rush Condition Discuss

Postby Jacob Buzianis » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:18 pm

How is the dirt road getting to the launch area? Will I need a 4x4 to get there? I'm trying to decide if I should be either the van or truck. I'm bring Kites/boards for kiters to demo out gear.
Jacob Buzianis

Postby Jacob Buzianis » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:23 pm

Hey EdwardDalton- Are you related to the Dalton families in Erda and Tooele?
Jacob Buzianis

Postby EdwardDalton » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:40 pm

Here is a shot from the staging area today. It's hard to get a good picture of how wide (east to west) the lake is from here but it give you an idea. The dirt road in isn't too muddy and is passable with a 2 wheel drive I think. I haven't seen any no trespassing signs and I drove all the way to the south end where the fence is. If you look closely at this picture you can see the fence line across the water. The water doesn't go much past it to the south, hope this helps.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Staging Area 3/10/16
Last edited by EdwardDalton on Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EdwardDalton

Postby EdwardDalton » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:44 pm

Jacob Buzianis wrote:Hey EdwardDalton- Are you related to the Dalton families in Erda and Tooele?

Hey Jacob, yes I am related. Errin is my uncle, Eddie is my dad. Errin said he was going to try getting a hold of you for me to see if you have any gear for sale. I'll come down and introduce myself tomorrow.
EdwardDalton

Postby Todd Jacques » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:52 pm

willard looks good for surf board tommorow and clean water
Todd Jacques

Postby gregwojtkun » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:08 pm

I'm at rush now... 11am Friday 3/11. Wind is great,water too low and not enough reach for my liking. Others may find it fine for desperation rides but I'm gonna pass.Too bad it doesn't fill up anymore.

Re: The Fence - I took a good look at the fence location. First off it looks rather cheap and not sturdy. Not saying that its "safe" but it seems to be more of a risk to gear than rider injury. On South wind days - its a non factor all together. North days I would caution beginners, but given how shallow the water is, like I said, its more of a gear risk if you decide to fully release. it should not factor in for Intermediate/Advanced guys.

Re: The access point, launch / rig area: The access road, as Edward pointed out, is free to use. No signs and no 4wd needed. Due to limited use of Rush the past year+ the dirt road that runs parallel to the lake has seen some shrub growth. You kind of have to drive over it in some spots. The usual rig/launch area is open but no more "dirt" - its mostly grown in with stuff about 6-8" high - might be a little hairy doing a self drag launch with more debris to catch on to. There are dry spots to park n launch, but as you start walking to the water it gets mucky (as usual) and its about a 50 yard walk through muck to get to a legit water start spot (e.g. water is just too shallow IMO)

Don't worry though - DC should hopefully have 45-50 degree water temps with no ice in a couple weeks assuming some warm weather.
gregwojtkun

Previous

Return to Main Message Board