PLEASE RESPOND | Rush Lake Fencing & Recreation Survey

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

PLEASE RESPOND | Rush Lake Fencing & Recreation Survey

Postby EdwardDalton » Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:12 pm

Hey everyone!

Rush Lake is back with a vengeance, and the Utah Department of Natural Resources (DNR) has been receptive to our renewed initiative to find a long-needed solution to the dangerous barbed-wire fencing privately installed across Rush Lake's public water.

As anyone who has encountered the fences in the water knows well, they are an "unreasonably dangerous condition to the public lawfully using the public water" as expressly prohibited by Utah's Public Waters Access Act (PWAA). Fortunately for our wind sports community, the Utah Supreme Court just recently upheld the PWAA, which protects the "right to float" on public water, including over private property, so long as the public water was otherwise accessed legally (via public BLM land at Rush Lake), and any private bottom is not touched (except to "incidentally touch private property as required for safe passage and continued movement").

The DNR has suggested we collect historical recreational usage data (of any kind) for Rush Lake since 1982 to help demonstrate the long precedent of public recreation there.

If you would like to see SAFE recreational access restored to Rush Lake (and preserved for the future), please take a moment to complete this short survey - https://forms.gle/LHLBUZ7fyySnMLC46

Please include any photos, videos, webpage links, etc. you may have. They are especially helpful at demonstrating the rich public recreational heritage of Rush Lake!
EdwardDalton

Re: PLEASE RESPOND | Rush Lake Fencing & Recreation Survey

Postby Craig Goudie » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:35 pm

Hey Ed,

many harvestable photos from the 1990s here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7701&hilit=rush+lake+classic+photo#p20955

I put that link and the video link I sent you on the DNR form

-Craig
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Return to Main Message Board