Naish UDS leash system (pros and cons)

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Naish UDS leash system (pros and cons)

Postby DeanDavis » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:56 pm

Kiteboarders, I would like to get a spinning leash system and was wondering if the UDS system is okay. I can add it to my current bar and line for pretty cheap. It seems like there was some discussions in the past about this system both pro and con. What is the feeling about that system? Is there others that are newer and and much better worth the extra dollars? Is there anything wrong with that system if price is a major concern?

Thanks in advance,

Dean
DeanDavis

Postby Kenny » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:01 pm

Dean,

I am getting rid of my UDS system. I just don't think it is safe because it requires you to reach up and grab the release. The release also does not always work. If you use the stock lines they can get stuck where the connection point goes through the stainless slider. You may recall that the UDS bar is the one Derik was using when he was injured.

The advantage of the UDS system is the amount of depower it provides. I still use it with my 30M, but I have switched to the Naish Shift system for the rest of my LEI kites. Mike R and I are talking about rigging a bar with 2 depower straps in tandem for our largest kites.

See you on the water!

kenny
Kenny
Site Admin

Postby jaynesjared » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:14 pm

dean i am now using the windwing cc bar that has about 22" of depower and really works well(had my 18rapture out in 22 to 28 on saturday) should have about the same depower as the uds but with out the saftey problems....
jaynesjared

Postby Kenny » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:51 pm

Dean,

I tried Jared's bar today and I agree that the Windwing bar is a good option. I am going to buy one because it offers a ton of depower. I also liked the Rapture 18M prototype that Jared was flying.

Kenny
Kenny
Site Admin

Who makes the Windwing and will it work with 4 line kites

Postby DeanDavis » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:08 pm

Kenny and Jared,

Thanks for the information. Can you address the questions. Although it sounds like the 5-line kite is the way to go, right now I am a little behind the time (due to finances) so I want something that will work with my kites. As you know I have Naish X2s and my North Rhino.

Dean
DeanDavis

Return to Main Message Board