Windy place during christmas?

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Postby RickHeninger » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:26 pm

Emmanuel,

I went to Maui during February of 06' and it blew 5.0 or better for a week straight... But apparently that was lucky... It does blow there in the winter, just not like it does in the summer...

I still have a standing plane ticket to Maui, or anywhere for that matter, and I have to use it before august 08... So, I might consider hitting Maui or elsewhere this winter... Keep me posted...
RickHeninger
Site Admin

Postby Emmanuel Pons » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:33 pm

RickHeninger wrote: So, I might consider hitting Maui or elsewhere this winter... Keep me posted...

I am pretty sure I'll hit either some place on Maui or Baja near the end of december possibly over new year even. Not too sure what yet. A group approach could be fun for sure!
Emmanuel Pons

Postby DimitriMilovich » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:57 am

Used to go windsurfing at RP every year, sometimes 2x a year. That's been about 8-9 years ago. Wind is best in spring and fall. There are very reliable thermals, planable on 8.5 sails every morning and afternoon it seemed, so easily kiteable now. Seem to remember that December wasn't really sailable, the thermals tapered off, but that was some years ago with the older gear. May be planeable that time of year nowwith the newer gear, ie big kites, formula pole sails. There were also periods of two days of intense wind every couple weeks. Shallow estuaries and flat water as well as some swell and wind chop. 4WD was nice for getting to the estuaries. BIG tides occaisionally. Very funny (actually not) sometimes -- I remember getting to the estuary on a 5.0 day, dumping all our gear off the truck, starting to rig. By the time we were rigged, the water had receeded about 1/2 mile.

Take flight to Phoenix, rent car, but need to get Mexico on car rental and Mexico insurance. About 2 1/2 hr drive if I remember right. Border crossing was easy then, but now --?? Maybe direct flights from somewhere now? Loved that place and miss it.
Dimitri
DimitriMilovich

Re: la ventana

Postby brian.doubek » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:28 pm

Emmanuel Pons wrote:
tjacques wrote:i am going to la ventana dec 8 th for a week.

That place looks great! Any experience with the Velawindsurf deal in Los Barriles? I take it it's next door.

Los Barriles, is about 25 miles, as the crow flies south of La Ventana although over an hour by car. If you want to windsurf, vela is a great deal because all the gear is spanking new, rigged and they have lots of it to choose from. they also have kayaks, bikes, snorkle gear and all the food is included. they don't have kites, unless you are taking lessons.

If you are kiting, no need to go with Vela, Martin Verdugos is the cheapest way to go. They have rooms or a tent area if you really want to go cheaply.

On average, wind is good about 50% of the time...70% if you don't mind sailing giant slalom gear or kite. December and Jan typically have the best wind. You can get lucky and get a solid week or 2 of cranking wind but you can also get unlucky and get skunked. Water is warm, and quite choppy. there can be huge swell that is a blast to ride but can be intimidating if you are used to flat water. Almost no shore break so the launching and landing is straight forward.

Have fun.
brian.doubek

Postby jason morton » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:43 pm

Doubek-
It's about time you registered to the UWA. Good to see you posting.
jason morton

Postby jason morton » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:59 pm

BTW-
If you want real wavesailing go to Maui, San Carlos, Mx. , or Western Australia. San Carlos actually blows year round and epic wavesailing can be had during the winter. The ultimate would Cape Verde (Punta Preta).
Check out this vid: Click on the link and scroll down the page about half way down.

http://www.windsmpeg.tk/windsurfing+vid ... a+jp+video
jason morton

Postby Eric C Christensen » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:25 pm

I have heard that Lake Arenal in Costa Rica is windy in Dec/Jan.
skibroker
Eric C Christensen

Postby Eric C Christensen » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:26 pm

I have heard that Lake Arenal in Costa Rica is windy in Dec/Jan.
skibroker
Eric C Christensen

Postby Eric C Christensen » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:28 pm

Costa Rica Lake Areneal windy Dec/Jan
skibroker
Eric C Christensen

Previous

Return to Main Message Board