Kites, non-traction

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Kites, non-traction

Postby ewaters » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:35 pm

Does anyone out there fly kites for non-traction purposes? I've been really getting into flying kites, but I'm not all that interested at the moment in doing it for traction (too expensive to get into it - $700 for a single kite/board/harness setup is too costly at the moment).

I'd love to get together with other recreational kite pilots to fly in Salt Lake on some good windy days (last few have been pretty good). I have a Rev EXP and want to buy a Prism Fanatic. Is this the proper forum to discuss recreational kites, or should I start another forum/website/kite society?
Eric Waters
801-560-8238
ewaters

Postby jaynesjared » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:47 pm

eric i have a prism kite (not sure which one but it is a larger one) if your interested email me at skagroovy@juno.com

late
jaynesjared

Postby Kenny » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:49 pm

Eric,

You have the right forum for people that fly kites, but if it is windy and we have time most of us will be on the snow or water. I do have some non-traction kites that I take to the park and fly with my children from time to time.

The main problem I have with local parks is the poor quality of the wind. It is usually extremely gusty due to upwind obstacles like homes, schools, etc. Have you found a good place to fly kites?

I have found that the wind is good at the flight park at the point of the mountain. The only problem is that you have to stay out of the way of the paragliders and hang gliders. However, it is usually strong and clean there.

Kenny
Kenny
Site Admin

Postby ewaters » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:12 am

Kenny wrote:You have the right forum for people that fly kites, but if it is windy and we have time most of us will be on the snow or water. I do have some non-traction kites that I take to the park and fly with my children from time to time.

Well, that's the thing. People view kite flying as something to be done in a park with kids. I view kite flying as something be done anywhere there space, whenever there's a good wind, with adults. Everywhere I look I try and find indications of the wind speed and direction. Every open parking lot or green area or empty lot I analyze for possible kite flying. I now know the location of most flags in the valley... and I always look to see if they're flying.

I love my new quad line Rev EXP - I'm not sure if I've ever even flown a single line kite, but the control of a quad line is such a thrill.

Kenny wrote:The main problem I have with local parks is the poor quality of the wind. It is usually extremely gusty due to upwind obstacles like homes, schools, etc. Have you found a good place to fly kites?

Yes, they are mostly gusty. But that's not the worst thing in the world. It's still flyable. My romps have been close to my home (in the Capitol Hill area): Rose Park, West High football field, Sunnyside Park.

Kenny wrote:I have found that the wind is good at the flight park at the point of the mountain. The only problem is that you have to stay out of the way of the paragliders and hang gliders. However, it is usually strong and clean there.

Yeah, wanna go up there soon.
Eric Waters
801-560-8238
ewaters

Postby Kenny » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:19 pm

Eric,

I am glad to read about your passion for kite flying. I too am always looking for places to fly in the valley. My objective is to find open areas that receive good snow coverage so I can snow kite. I live in Sandy, so I have been scoping out the south end of the valley. However, most of the time I end up driving to Park City (or further) for good wind, open area, and good snow coverage.

If you like the thrill of a 4 line kite, you need to try traction kiting. Imagine bombing down a hill with a 4 line kite on skis or a snowboard. As you build speed, the kinetic energy builds in your kite lines. Fly the kite overhead and you are launched into the air. Fly the kite forward (or even better loop it) and you come down light as a feather. Next winter plan on driving to Skyline Drive (near the town of Fairview). Most weekends there are 5 - 10 kiters. There are also demo days when the national reps for Ozone, Brian and Heather will be there introducing people to the sport of snow kiting. Just watch this forum next winter. The great thing is that there is plenty of room for you to come and fly your kites as well.

How large are the Prism kites that you are referring too? My smallest 4 line kite is a 5 sq meter kite. I usually use a 10 or 14 for snow kiting. The problem with traction kites is that the smaller kites are designed for high wind speeds. My 5 meter does great in 30 mph wind, but tends to back stall a lot in light winds.

I use a 2 line stunt kite built by Precision kites for park flying. It opened my eyes to how much fun kite flying is even when you are not riding a board.

Kenny
Kenny
Site Admin

Return to Main Message Board