Rush Lake Fence

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Re: Rush Lake Fence

Postby Marty Lowe » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:46 pm

Quick post... more later

Bottom line.

We have permission to remove the posts that are in the deepest part of the lake.
but we need to leave some in the water.

-Marty 8)
Marty Lowe

Postby MikE mAy » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:14 pm

yeay marty! it was great to see you in action talking to "rush randy" and i thought you did a great job!

just wanted you to know i appreciate you talking to him and think you did an excellent job explaining our situation and being diplomatic with everybody's concerns and visions of the lake. i thought i'd say that since i bailed on you guys to go ride. look forward to many future discussions as to how to keep both of us happy and maybe get some more water in there.
MikE mAy

Postby salvador » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:10 pm

buen trabajo marty (good job)
salvador

Postby lesvierra » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:12 pm

si, muy bien, gracias Marty!

la agua hace frio, no promblema, compras suit dry de Jon. muy hace calour. (my best try at spanglish)
lesvierra

Postby Marty Lowe » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:58 am

Thanks for the kind words, but all I did was listen. Les found the landowner.

I don't like reading long posts, or worse writing them, but lots was covered. Please ask any questions. Mark, Todd and Mike were also there, and can help remember the conversation.

Randy H, nicknamed "Rush Randy", while we were there, is a local that grew up in Grantsville. has two young kids, and owns tons of property on the southeast side of Rush Lake, and other areas around the lake. His plan is mostly recreational for the property. He owns a excavation company also. He has built a motocross track somewhere to the south east of the lake.

He leases his land to ranchers for grazing. When the water is gone, the livestock wanders. He had plans to fence all this property. Naturally he would go around his boundary. He has agreed not fence the area that in under water. In exchange for our help.

First off the fence. We have permission to remove the dangerous posts that are in the water, but need to leave a small amount of fencing into the water to keep livestock from getting into the neighbors property. So as the water rises this year, we can pull more of the temporary posts. WE NEED TO DO THIS SOON, the last post is only a few inches above water, and could soon be a hidden danger. The fence posts should be placed in a pile at the upper end of the fence. And the wire pulled tight between the remaining posts. In return, we discussed a more permanent fix. An electric (battery) fence that runs parallel to the water instead of in the water. We may need to purchase as much as 3/4 mile of this fence to run to the second batch of cottonwood trees on the SE side. He is not in a big hurry to get this done.This is the year for everyone to pay membership, we may need the money. Lots of kiter's have never joined UWA.

I later was thinking about the landowner to the north of the property. This fence won't do anything for them. There is livestock there now. I'll contact Randy again and get his thoughts on this subject.

Randy owns a lot of water rights, LOTS, I believe he said 500 acre feet. How much is 500 Acre Feet? 162925500 gallons; Water for a city of 1500 people . Once the water is in Rush Lake, it is BLM, but its his to do what he wants. He can't do anything different to add water to Rush, That is up to mother nature, but he could divert it away from Rush. The only thing he has in mind as of now, may be another water ski park, similar to the one in Rush Valley. He would build us an access/rigging site on the east side, if we ever needed it. We need to get this guy hooked on kiting, can you say free lesson??? Discounted Kite???

There is going to be a pipeline going through the east side of the lake, (can you imagine the stink) It could affect us depending on when they start the work. (What if they hit a water vein, and flood the whole valley, Windsurfers, start you praying now)

There is lots of snow in the mountains still waiting to come down, we should have a good year. Randy believes, as I do, that lots of the runoff goes to ground water and comes through the springs to feed Rush Lake, Randy has 5 main springs on his property that feed Rush.

Randy has our side of this issue to think over, and we will discuss his ideas at a later date. I did invite him to his forum. Sure hope he joins.

Mark, Todd, Mike, is there anything else you think should be mentioned?

-Marty 8)

Bonus ... kited powered on my 13m. before Rush Randy arrived....
Marty Lowe

Postby Mark Johnson » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:39 am

I think that pretty much covered it Marty. Randy seems like a good guy to deal with. I think for the residents of Stockton having this as a recreation area is the best thing for there property values. I see good things in the future of Rush! Cudos for Les and Marty for there getting this started!
Mark Johnson

Postby tjacques » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:57 am

marty
was a good meeting, you did a good job talking with randy and conveying that conversation with this forum. we should get on thinking of taking post out soon. nice job les finding randy. and like mark and marty said we could not have a better guy to talk to, real nice guy that just wants good people on his land, everyone should help police the land.
tjacques

Postby Jon Manwaring » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:26 pm

FENCE IS GONE, Many thanks to Les for his research, Marty for his skillful negotiations, and me for the effort to pull the damn thing up. Major THANKS to 'Rush Randy' for his generosity in letting us take it down. THANKS AGAIN to all involved. Kite on, Rush is Plush :-P
Jon Mzee
Jon Manwaring

Postby Ralph Morrison » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:02 am

Thanks for all your efforts guys!! And working with barbed wire in a drysuit is risky business, good work Jon!
Ralph Morrison

Postby MikE mAy » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:25 am

i think that is it Marty! again, good job keeping him on topic and getting the issues addressed. sounds like these are the action items as a result of the meeting:

* track down this temporary low lying battery powered electric fence. i've got a rancher buddy and i'll ask him about it. we should see how much it is and start doign some math to approach randy. it was my impression from listening that randy didn't want to do too much extra to help us, but was very very open to different ideas as to the use of his land and water rights. can't say i don't blame him. point being- we can move/install fencing but we have to be the ones willing to do these things, or arrange it with his leasee. he just isn't going to do whatever we say needs to happen, but will allow most anything to happen to make all parties happy.

* keep randy informed as to what we come up with. it sounded like marty said that he had intentions to fence in his whole property line. he kept mentioning that he needed to keep his leasor's cattle in his property and that the lake bed needed to be fenced. i thought he was talking about a north to south running fence which obviously ruins what we have going. we need to be pro-active and come up with an idea to satisfy this issue before the end of the season. i would imagine that if we don't come to them first with a good solution, they might fence it in anyway without talking to us when we are vacant in the summer/fall months.

thanks jon for taking the fence out! i had a huge paragraph written about what needed to be done, but saw that you already took care of it. thanks!

****edit****

after Marty's info, sounds like it's all taken care of, we just need to get a fence in on the water line!

yeay marty!
Last edited by MikE mAy on Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikE mAy

Postby Marty Lowe » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:35 am

MikE mAy wrote: he kept mentioning that he needed to keep his leasor's cattle in his property and that the lake bed needed to be fenced. i thought he was talking about a north to south running fence which obviously ruins what we have going. we need to be pro-active and come up with an idea to satisfy this issue before the end of the season. i would imagine that if we don't come to them first with a good solution, they might fence it in anyway without talking to us when we are vacant in the summer/fall months.

Mike,
I believe after you left, we came to an agrement that the north-south fence line will be at the waterline, not into the water part of his property.
We will just have to do the work installing the fence, as the trade off.
We need to take advantage of this opportunity to keep the ranchers that lease Randy's property from installing a fence into the water again.

-Marty 8)
Marty Lowe

Postby jason morton » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:44 am

I love you guys!!
jason morton

Postby salvador » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:40 pm

les you need espanol classes letme no
salvador

Postby lesvierra » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:35 pm

sal, lets do a lesson on the way to the gorge this summer, ok?
lesvierra

Postby salvador » Sat May 17, 2008 9:50 am

esta bien cuando vayamos a el jorge rio te enseno mas espanol
salvador

PreviousNext

Return to Main Message Board