Utah Lake State Park

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Utah Lake State Park

Postby Steven Nyhus » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:30 pm

I took a ride out to ULSP this afternoon, and I ran into one of the rangers. I asked him about sailing inside the jetties. He said that he did not see any problems with it. He said we just need to stay out of the boat channel which is located along the north jetty. He said we can launch from the beach area on the south a sail out and back. He also said that if there are any proplems, he will have to re-evaluate. They are also still considering building ramps off the jetties for access to the water. The water depth along side the rocks right now is about 5' deep. The water level is looking good.
This could be a really good high wind flat water option. (Maybe a Utah speed sailing course if there is enough room) Start saving for those GPS units!
Steven Nyhus

Postby Mike » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:01 pm

I remember going boating once at Utah lake. It's most certainly not clear. It's brown and muddy; dead fish floating and whatnot. This is the closest lake I live next to. Is it really all that disturbing?
Mike

Postby Steven Nyhus » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:53 am

It is just a shallow lake. Last summer when the water level was down, the depth in the middle was just over waist deep. When the wind blows, it stirs up the mud on the bottom. It will also get pretty warm which will get the algae growing. I don't think it is as bad as it looks. It is kind of fun to sail in the 'chocolate' caps. Just don't wear a white rash guard or shorts.
Steven Nyhus

Utah Lake is great

Postby miker » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:24 am

It's muddy that's it.
miker
Site Admin

New jetty area

Postby John Dubock » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:47 am

You have to visit to see how big the area really is! Its way big enough for Formula boards and Steve's correct in that even in very high winds this spot will have flat water potential. Boats hug the usual North jetty, the 'new' opening is very small so hopefully sailors will look 'both ways'.

The fisherman on the new jetty might be an issue with long lines but as long as we police ourselves we deserve access when paying our day fees!

Not sure if jet skis will be allowed in here, if so we'll have to string the usual ropes/nets, mines.
John Dubock

Postby Steven Nyhus » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:51 am

The ranger said that it was a no wake zone. Since windsurfers don't make a wake, he said he didn't see a problem with speed. Again, if problems come up, they will re-evaluate.
Steven Nyhus

Windsurfers have no wake?

Postby Craig Goudie » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:16 pm

Windsurfers do throw a wake, and the no wake "clause" has to do with
going slow in congested areas. I'm not trying to rain on anybodies parade,
but windsurfers have been cited (not in Utah yet though) for throwing a
wake in a wakeless zone. But of course, they have to catch you first ;*)

I'm up for an occasional speed run, got my Hypersonic ready to rock.
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

I'd like a wake

Postby John Dubock » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:27 pm

Craig is right, DC Rangers like to swoop down on Island Beach and warn sailors of 'going too fast inside the buoys'. No one has defined 'fast', and Rangers have yet to open up a discussion of how we can work together.

Trevor/Troy Dubock, age 16 are almost guaranteed of getting their first speeding ticket-on the water! I would pay the fine if the Rangers would track their drag racing speed. A fine mix of raging testosterone, disdain for authority, a lifelong desire to go faster than Jim Southwick and the UWA could have a test court case on its hands!

Reality is this year at DC a few of us are willing to open discussions w/ the Rangers, help them out since they probably didn't get more funds and show them windsurfers/kiters are more than just customers that pay their salary but water people that care about the safety of everyone on the lake.
John Dubock

Return to Main Message Board