Kiting - Improve your technique and safety

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Kiting - Improve your technique and safety

Postby Kenny » Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:13 pm

Kiting equipment has dramatically improved over the past 5 years in both safety and functionality. The control bar is the primary area to focus your time and money when it comes to safety and funtionality. If you have a pre-2003 bar, you should seriously consider selling it or upgrading it. I will list below the most important functions to look for on a bar.

1. Helmet - I can't believe that there are riders still riding wiithout a helmet after Derik Sayer's Accident (for those unfamiliar he hit his head last year and was in a coma for over a week and is still recovering. Fortunately, he is making good progress). Derik is the first person to tell you to wear a helmet. I wear a Protec model that I picked up at Marine Products for $39. A small price to pay if you ask me.
2. Releasable chicken loop - without a doubt the scariest kitemares I have had occurred when I was not able to get out of the chicken loop. I nearly bought it one time at Grantsville when I finally unhooked on top of the dam!
3. Safety leash - First of all you need one so that you don't lose your kite. A grab handle on one side is not good enough. Second, the best leashes are attached to one of the front lines or better yet a 5th line. Avoid wrist safety leashes (I am surprised that I don't have permanent carpal tunnel damage after getting dragged while the kite was doing a death spiral). The leash should attach to your harness. I personally like the safety of the new 5th line bars. The kite will turn upside down and float completely depowered in the air when you release the bar. You can also pull in the bar and relaunch the kite.
3. Other control bar issues - First, your chicken loop should not be too long. 6 -8 inches is about right - any longer and you will find yourself leaning over the board. You have much more power to resist the pull of the kite if you are able to lean back against the force of the kite. Second, make sure the bar functions well. Edge the board hard in gusts rather than using a long chicken loop line. Second, if you plan on doing backflips, backloops, frontloops, etc. you will need a spinning leash. Rotations are fun and not all that hard, but it can be frustrating and dangerous if you do them on a bar that is not designed for spinning. The lines will twist and it may become difficult or impossible to deploy the safety.
4. Line length - Front lines tend to stretch and you may need to adjust your line lengths as the front lines stretch out. Most LEI kites are designed to fly on lines that are all even in length. The performance of the kite will decrease dramatically if you line lengths are incorrect.

Well that is enough advice for today. If you have specific questions, please reply on this forum so that everyone can benefit.

ride safe and have fun :mrgreen:

Kenny
Kenny
Site Admin

Return to Main Message Board