Where to sail?

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Where to sail?

Postby letsride » Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:14 pm

I'm coming on a trip out west through Salt Lake City, and was wanting to stop and do some windsurfing, is the Salt Lake a good spot, and where can I rent equipment?
letsride

Re: Where to sail?

Postby Craig Goudie » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:53 am

Renting Equipment is unlikely, though John Dubock does have a large
board for rent, and you could PM him here. For where to sail, check out
our "local sites" info page at http://utahwindriders.org/windtrx.htm.
The GSL is not typically a first choice.

-Craig

letsride wrote:I'm coming on a trip out west through Salt Lake City, and was wanting to stop and do some windsurfing, is the Salt Lake a good spot, and where can I rent equipment?
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Riding the GSL

Postby DeanDavis » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:44 am

Craig's comment about the GSL not being the first choice reminded me of one of Kenny's posts about riding the salt ponds. I remember laughing out loud as I read the part about the scuba mask suggestion. The image of Kenny kiting in a scuba mask still makes me laugh!

I read one time in one of the magazines something like "the most popular place to ride in Utah" referencing the GSL. We really should get a bunch of guys out on the salt ponds one day with scuba masks ripping it up then send a photo to the magazines. They already think we are all crazy polygamists anyway. That's the only reason we ever make national news, right?
DeanDavis

Salt Ponders rock!

Postby John Dubock » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:58 pm

Feb 2, a few drought years ago Layne Peterson drove me to the infamous Salt Ponds beyond the Tooele exit. You haven't lived till you've sailed the briny waters that make your face as white as this page! Its a huge reach, and South winds crank. As long as you hose off and don't mind smelling like an old salt for a few days its do able. I'm sure there are Tooele locals that sail it alone on Big South wind days.
John Dubock

Return to Main Message Board