kite lessons?

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

kite lessons?

Postby Kate Jensen » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:40 pm

Anyone know anyone who teaches kite lessons?
Kate Jensen

RE lessons

Postby Mark Johnson » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:25 pm

I am not sure if anyone is giving lessons in Utah at this time. But I would first start with a video and a (SMALL) trainer kite. Get your kite flying skills down first with the small kite and save your money. No reason to pay to use someone elses trainer kite. Then I would move to little larger kite when you feel comfortable flying the small one. Next learn to body drag in the water in a safe place. Most videos show this technique and how to do it SAFE. Come out to any of the spots and watch and learn while others are flying their kites. Most people who fly kites love to talk about flying kites. If you get past this point you might run into someone that can get you going in the sport. I pesonally would avoid paying for lessons at least until I was past this point. Im sure others would dissagree (Those charging for lessons)
A couple of links to places you might find gear or info are.
mtkites.com
http://www.ukbinc.com/
Mark Johnson

Postby Shawn Miller » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:06 pm

Can someone recommend a good training video? If I go buy a small kite for training, would I want a 4 line kite? Sorry for the basic questions, but I just stumbled over a kiteboarding website and it looks like a fun thing to learn. Thanks.
Shawn Miller

Postby Mark Johnson » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:35 pm

Boost was the video I had but there might be a better one out by now. You might try ebay. I think they have boost and boost 2 both are almost the same video. I could not tell the difference. Either a 2 line or a 4 line. With the four line you might learn a bit more about kite controll. I think the first kite I had was about a 1 or 1.5 meter 2 line. It was very fun to fly and if the wind was cranking I could use it to kite buggy with. Its kind of hard to say to go and get a bigger 4 line kite right at first because of how dangerous they can be if you do not know how to fly or what to expect. Yoou cant really go wrong with a very small 2 line trainer because there will always be someone wanting to fly it. They are fun to fly when the wind is to light to go out or when you need a kite flying fix and you only have time to get to the nearest park. I would lend you mine but I lent it out and never got it back. In no time at all you will find yourself buying or trying to buy a whole assortment of kites and sizes.
Mark Johnson

Trainer Kites

Postby Derik Sayers » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:47 pm

I have a bunch of brand new trainer kites and a great video comes with them. It's "gettin schooled" by Paul Menta one of, if not, the best kiteboarding instructor in the country. I have sold several of them to locals here in Utah and I have had raves about the quality of the kite and the video. Hope it's what your lookin for...
Derik Sayers

Postby Shawn Miller » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:24 pm

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.
Shawn Miller

Return to Main Message Board