Thinking about gettin back in

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Thinking about gettin back in

Postby jeff fergus » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:31 am

I haven't windsurfed in about 15 years and thinking about getting back in, craving the rush! I live up in Ogden and wondering if it's worth doing any sailing up here? Such a long trek down to Utah lake for me on a regular basis. Also with all the new gear what's a good board and size? I am 5'10 190. I would like to try and get into it with just one board if at all possible. Does anyone do any equipment rental or demo?
Thanks
jeff fergus

Re: Thinking about getting back in

Postby Craig Goudie » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:03 am

Hi Jeff,
I hope you decide to rejoin us. Your options from Ogden are tolerable, but not optimum.
Willard bay will definitely get you some water time, but you have to hit it on a slow moving
front that generates South winds for about 2 days. The second day will be pretty good at Willard. You can also get post frontal North winds at Willard, but you have to hit that hours (or minutes) after the front passes, and they can be unpredictable and savage.
Pineview can also provide some planable conditions, mostly on a high pressure
reestablishing itself the day after a front passes, I call this the Lowe Effect, after
it's discoverer. Your best bet from Ogden though is
Sulfur Creek in Wyoming. It takes about an hour and 10 minutes from Ogden, but it does
get wind pre and post frontal, and the post frontal wind can be pretty strong for 2 days.
Just watch the daily forecast in the Windriding section for my best guess on weather.

New gear could be a real blessing for you, but I've met more than a few people who just
can't adjust to it after riding the old stuff. New boards are shorter and wider than they
used to be, the wide point is far aft of the older boards, and (in my opinion), this makes
for a board that can carry a larger sail, plane early, and still turn like a smaller board.
I'm going to guess that you are a proficient windsurfer, and can use footstraps, a
harness, waterstart and plane through a jibe. If that's the case, and you want a 1
board quiver for Utah, at your weight, you're going to want something between 110 and
120 ltrs, minimum 60cm wide, and about 8'4" long. There are a number of boards like
this, but I'm fond of the Angulo Sumo. Either the 105ltr, or the 125ltr would probably
work, but the 105 will probably tolerate sub 5.0 sails, whereas the 125 probably won't
work well below 5.5 (too bad they don't make a 115). A board like that would get
you planing and on the water from 15-30 MPH wind speeds with sails from 8.0 to 5.0.

Another option for a 1 board quiver is a Formula board. Be forewarned that I am not a big
fan of formula boards, so I have a bias, but if you're really looking for a 1 board/1 or 2
sail quiver, and you want to invest the time to master it, you can ride one of those
into an incredible amount of wind with huge sails, you just have to stay off a beam reach,
and the things don't turn well (again my opinion), but with one of those and an 8M sail,
you can get going from about 12MPH to 25MPH wind speeds, and there is a lot of that
in Utah. Formula boards plane earlier than any other type of board.

Josh Shirley instructs, and has some demo gear, but I think it's all beginner gear, he
may chime in here. There are always a few boards in the "for sale" section, and I bet any
of the sellers would let you ride it first, or, make a trip up to HR, spend a few days
sailing, and buy a used 120 ltr board (they go pretty cheap in the land of 70 ltr boards).

Feel free to ask questions,

-Craig

jeff fergus wrote:I haven't windsurfed in about 15 years and thinking about getting back in, craving the rush! I live up in Ogden and wondering if it's worth doing any sailing up here? Such a long trek down to Utah lake for me on a regular basis. Also with all the new gear what's a good board and size? I am 5'10 190. I would like to try and get into it with just one board if at all possible. Does anyone do any equipment rental or demo?
Thanks
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Re: Thinking about gettin back in

Postby jeff fergus » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:29 pm

Craig,
Thanks for the info...I am friends, more like acquaintances, with a professional windsurfer and he just got back to me recommending the Starboard futura board in the 120 range and an 8.5 sail.....seems like a large sail to me? Any thoughts? He doesnt sail in Utah but thinks it would be a good set up, apparently the sails are being ridden larger these days.
thanks
jeff
jeff fergus

Postby Craig Goudie » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:15 pm

Hi Jeff,

I don't have any personal experience with the Futura, but everybody who rides one
raves about it, and I never met a Starboard I didn't like (demoed a Kode about
2 Months ago in Hawaii and loved it). Futuras are more slalom oriented than
I like, but that's just me, and slalom boards rule in Utah. 8.5 is probably pushing
the upper limit of a 120 Ltr board, but
Starboards board specs say it will carry a 9.0. 8.5 is a good size for a lot of typical
Utah Summer wind. Sails are much lighter than they were 15 years ago, and while Race
sails have certainly gotten larger for a similar amount of pull, what's really happened
is that they'll handle a wider wind range, so you might as well go large. I weigh about the same as you, and I run a 9.5 nocam Retro on my 155Ltr Angulo Sumo so that I
can plane in about 11MPH wind. But lest you think all sails are bigger with less power,
my Northwave quiver (which lives in Hood River) is plenty powerful in the 5.5-3.2
range, and Sailworks builds a sail called a Hucker, that's got plenty of power in
smaller sizes.

Trying to ride a 1 board quiver in Utah is not really easy, because Spring can run some
near nuke conditions, and Summer can be very light, and you get everything in
between. The best bang for your buck will be something like what was suggested to you,
but when it really blows, you're gonna wish you had a 70 Ltr and a 3.7, and when
you're almost planing for several hours on a 12MPH wind at DeerCreek you'd probably
sell your sole for a formula board, and a 9.5.

I have 3 boards (here in Utah) an Angulo Sumo 155, An RRD Twin Tip 115, and a
Cross M 75 Ltr glass board. I also have sails from 9.5 to 3.7 (again here in Utah).
That pretty much covers the entire spectrum. I've got 7 days in in Utah this year
(most of them in March), and 11 days in HR, so I tend to be biased toward higher
wind, but I'm cheap enough to ride a 9.5 if I haven't sailed in a couple of weeks.

If the Futura is a deal, you might want to have a close look. Can you get a ride on it?

-Craig

jeff fergus wrote:Craig,
Thanks for the info...I am friends, more like acquaintances, with a professional windsurfer and he just got back to me recommending the Starboard futura board in the 120 range and an 8.5 sail.....seems like a large sail to me? Any thoughts? He doesnt sail in Utah but thinks it would be a good set up, apparently the sails are being ridden larger these days.
thanks
jeff
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby jeff fergus » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:33 pm

Too much to think about, decision overload! Unless I was wealthy enough to purchase it all, which I am not! My friend rides in Hawaii so no way of trying the futura. Funny thing is, while researching all the different boards, they all say the same things. Seems as though you can't go wrong with any free ride 120ltr board? Especially with no real point of reference.
Thanks for the advice. Hobbies are expensive!
jeff fergus

Postby Josh Shirley » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:05 pm

Jeff:

Welcome back, hopefully.

This has been a good year to windsurf in Utah.

Keep in mind the most commonly used sail around the world is about 6 meter.
So if you budget is limited start there and build out from there.

I have a lot of sails in stock to get you set up if you like - used and new.

As far as boards go, I think that is a question of sailing skill level and when/where you will get a chance to sail.
If you are locked into sailing at Pineview I suggest going big, if you are willing to drive to Grantsville / Rush / Utah lake then you could go with something in medium range. (100 to 120 liters.)

I would love to help out where I can.

Josh
801 906-8396
Whatever thou art, do well thy part.
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Postby bradsaxe » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:38 am

Ferg, Ferg, Ferg....

You gave up on kiting way too soon my friend. Why don't you call me and we can go through it the right way? These guys might argue the point but I feel that you will get more days on the water with a kite around here plus you can sneak away from you winter day job for a little snow action in the winter which is way easier.
bradsaxe

Postby jeff fergus » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:03 am

Saxe, not a chance in hell for me to get some action in the winter! Days off just don't exist after thanksgiving.
jeff fergus

Postby Craig Goudie » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:28 am

Hey Jeff, I know nothing about this board but it is the right size and type, and
it is a real deal because it is a brand new old (2007) board. Not sure what the
shipping would cost either, but still a good deal.

http://www.naishusa.com/products/produc ... 0.0?pp=12&

-Craig
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby jeff fergus » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:16 am

Thanks Craig for looking into that! You don't have any concerns with it only being a 115 for someone getting back into after such a long hiatus? The price is great and would allow me to get a couple of sails for it. The sail range is 6-8 but should there be any issues with putting a smaller sail on it? I've tried to find some reviews on it but have had little to no luck, so if anyone knows anything about this board please chime in.
thanks
jeff
jeff fergus

Postby Craig Goudie » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:19 am

I came across it on a the site where I bought my last wave board.

I don't know this board, and I don't know how experienced you are with windsurfing either. If you can
describe what you were able to do 15 years ago, and where your were doing it that would help. You can google
2007 and the boards title, and I'll bet you'll get a review somewhere, http://www.boardseekermag.com/equipment ... m_2007.htm even if it's just manufacturer sales talk.
Again I say, newer boards are very different from what we had 15 years ago. You might want to get a ride on something
around here, just for a reference. If a ~$500 gamble is too high risk, then you should wait until you find a board
you can try. It's just like any other gamble, but it is a good price on a (sorta) modern board. I'd buy it
if I needed a slalom board to add to my (now 8 ) board collection. It looks good on paper.

115 is about the perfect compromise for Utah, if you are really committed to a 1 board quiver, but
a $500 invested in a board you don't like is just making a board you do like that much more expensive.
It'll carry a relatively large sail and a medium sized sail, but you would have to be pretty skilled to sail it at both those ranges.

Maybe you should consider something in the 140-150 ltr category, and then figure on a smaller board later,
again, it depends on your skill level. There's a lot of 12MPH wind in Utah.

-Craig

jeff fergus wrote:Thanks Craig for looking into that! You don't have any concerns with it only being a 115 for someone getting back in after such a long hiatus? The price is great and would allow me to get a couple of sails for it. The sail range is 6-8 but should there be any issues with putting a smaller sail on it? I've tried to find some reviews on it but have had little to no luck, so if anyone knows anything about this board please chime in.
thanks
jeff
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Return to Main Message Board