Help Save SPI

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Help Save SPI

Postby Kevin Dobson » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:14 pm

SPI needs your help, if you have ever experienced the magic of SPI or want to, they need your help. Think locally, act globally! Hope all the folks I have seen down on the island get involved. Losing Holly Beach and the North Flats would be devastating.

CONCERNS ABOUT NEW SPI BRIDGE

PLEASE WRITE A LETTER, FAX OR E-MAIL EXPRESSING YOUR CONCERN

Dear South Padre Island Windsurfing/Kiting members and anyone concerned about future access to Laguna Madre Bay. A public hearing was held recently revealing more detailed information regarding the 2nd access bridge to South Padre Island. The recommended placement by the planners routes the bridge from Holly Beach - on the mainland - to between beach access points 5 and 6 on the Island. Access 5 is near where we enter the north flats!

While the new bridge is endorsed by most as a necessity, the favored route is extremely problematic for bay wind sports using the Convention Center, North Flats and "Outlaw Beach" flats. The bridge would simply be in the path of our sailing activity. It is vitally important that we all voice our concern to the Project Manager for many reasons other than, but also including recreation. We must implore the planners to locate the bridge as far north as feasible where it lands on South Padre Island. Please mention if you are a property owner or plan to be. Additionally, mention how often you travel to SPI and how important Laguna Madre Bay access is to your travel.

Please Write A Letter, Fax Or E-Mail (Must Be Received By Aug 15, 2012) Expressing Your Concern To:

SPI 2nd Access Project Manager
600 W. US Expressway 83
Pharr TX. 78577-1231
Fax- 956.554.7509
E-Mail- spi2ndaccess@HNTB.com
Thank you, Leo DeVigil, gustmeister@hotmail.com
Kevin Dobson

Re: Help Save SPI

Postby Jon Manwaring » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:34 am

I just sent mine. Come on UWA riders add your voice to this cause.
JonMzee
Jon Manwaring

Postby Kevin Dobson » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:41 am

Thanks Jon, just a thought, like the letters about Lincoln, please include how your trips to SPI bring $$$ to the community. Airfare, car rental, condo rental, dining out, kiteboard lessons, equipment rentals, purchase & repair, just to name a few. SPI is one of my favorite places to ride, a bridge in the location they want to put it will definitely change the riding there forever.

Thanks everyone
Kevin Dobson

Postby Kenny » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:21 pm

Thanks for making us aware. e-mail sent.
Kenny
Site Admin

Postby John Guay » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:13 am

Email sent. Both of these location are critical to the kite community. Holly Beach saved my vacation this year. The Island had marginal wind for long stretches this spring and Holly had reliable thermals daily.
John Guay

Postby Marty Lowe » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:44 am

I sent my letter today.
Pretty simple, no north flats,
no SPI trips for me.
Marty Lowe

Postby Todd Jacques » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:11 pm

I sent mine. Made it simple like Marty said no access no reason to go :((
Todd Jacques

Postby Brent Bernard » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:36 pm

I sent my letter as well, thanks for reminding me. Let's hope they find an alternate position because it's a deal breaker for wind sport tourism.
Brent Bernard

Postby Todd Jacques » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:49 pm

I guess there is always the coast, but with out the sure thing flats and holly it would be no go for me
Todd Jacques

Postby chasestewart » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:24 pm

Hello People,

Don't know most of you as I recently moved back to Utah from South Padre Island. It's been awhile, like 10 years, since I've kited in Utah, but perhaps this fall I'll make a trip to SSB before I head back down to SPI for the fall season. I saw this topic on the forum, so I thought I should comment:

the odds of a very expensive ($500 million last estimate) bridge being build between the Holly Beach area to a spot north of town are highly unlikely despite anything you might hear or read. I met my wife on the Island and she was pretty invloved there, and she just laughed when I asked her about the possibility of another causeway. It just ain't going to happen any time soon.

But, even if the economy roared to life and the Federal government decided to spend a ton more money on infrastructure, the worst case scenario is that the "new" North Flats would move north on the Island, further from the wind shadow of the buildings that effects the current North Flats wind.

Another thing to consider is that nothing works the way its planned or anticipated in deep south Texas. Unintended consequences are the rule. A bridge might be a good thing, who knows. It might draw all the local problems, Valley trash, traffic, undesirables, etc... away from the town. It's a mystery.

There are a lot of people who love the North Flats, who have been going there for 30 years and old habits die hard so I understand their fear. But, most kiters I know have moved on to the Gulf, Holly Beach, Race Flats, points north, etc... We'll be enjoying SPI for as long as we live...
chasestewart

Postby Marty Lowe » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:03 am

Hey Chase,
Good to hear from you and your inside info, and welcome back.
The Gulf is great, but we usually have some in our group that want the flats.
Will you post about the Race Flats and points north, very interested in some new spots.

Marty
Marty Lowe

Postby chasestewart » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:37 am

Hey Marty and all,

Living on SPI full-time makes you looney, but I'm recovering nicely. I remember rigging on Utah Lake as bystanders and windsurfers looked at me with that what in the hell is that gaze. 20th century kiting seems like forever ago.

I made an inquiry yesterday with Jason Yetter, who is THE man on SPI. He's been windsurfing and kiting there forever and is the creator and moderator of spiforum.org. It's pretty funny:

2o years ago they proposed a new bridge.
Ten years ago they said it would be built in 7.
Ten years ago I said it would take 20
So from my forecast, we are still 10 years away

It all depends if the bridge financing can be packaged up for a sale to the pension funds.
Muni bonds are more likely than the private investor scenario they keep talking about.
Based on the number of vehicles served and regional populations,
I don't see any justification for a second bridge until the next boom.
We just don't have the numbers, the big city, the big airport...................

The current bridge is adequate 95 percent of the time.
Spring break, July weekends are the only hotspots.
Like flying at Christmas.... you expect delays.

Some congressman, tx dot planners, and transportion trolls are having fun,
spending 20 years of tax dollars while they play with designing this project.
This pre building expense will be a greater sum than the entire construction bill.

Government sucks.
J
chasestewart

Postby Marty Lowe » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:14 am

Marty Lowe wrote:Hey Chase,

Will you post about the Race Flats and points north, very interested in some new spots.

Marty
Marty Lowe

Postby chasestewart » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:06 pm

Hello, I just returned from two weeks in South, Texas on some business matters. It was brutally hot and humid. I did manage to get two sessions at the North Flats and one in the Gulf on mystery wind on a 14 meter kite.

As far as new spots, it's fairly unlimited with a 4-wheel drive car or truck. For probably 4 miles past the North Flats there are entry points to the flats that have deep, loose sand. Once passed the initial sketchy entry points, the sand is hard and dense, and as long as the tide is low you can drive to the water. Just know, if it looks sketchy, it's probably worse than that. Once you get passed 4 miles there are lots of entry points in and around the dunes, but they are governed by whether the land owner cares to come and chase you off. That's probably unlikely. The most interesting thing to do is bring a big packpack, drive to the end of the Island, and hump it through the dunes with a couple of kites, a board and pump to the infinite expanse of bay frontage. Call it backcountry kiteboarding. Fun times. There are others who know more than I because I've been a total Gulf snob for several years, but check with the shop guys as well. Chase
chasestewart

Return to Main Message Board