12/12 Skyline 21M

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

12/12 Skyline 21M

Postby fredishlarsen » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:05 am

I showed up a little after 1:00 to an empty parking lot and untracked snow. The wind was light and coming from the south. The wind direction made riding Bosco a little strange. Uphill upwind slogs linked to downhill down wind screamers. After an hour or so the wind switched west to the more normal afternoon direction and picked a bit. The coverage is really pretty good. The snow quality was really nice too. Many bush ramps to hit all the way across the hill. The only rocks that I saw was the small pile a couple hundred yards east of the parking lot.

Took a few frame grabs off the video to show the conditions. You'll have to look at the higher res version to see that I did make _some_ tracks. I'm blaming the altitude for my lack of staying power.

Bosco before session by Fred, on Flickr

Bosco after session by Fred, on Flickr

Skyline looking west by Fred, on Flickr

Skyline looking west north west by Fred, on Flickr
fredishlarsen

Re: 12/12 Skyline 21M

Postby Tom Reynolds » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:07 pm

nice pics- was the camera attached to your kite, or are you flying a quadrocopter?
Tom Reynolds

Postby fredishlarsen » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:29 pm

I was hoping everyone would think that the Speed 3 21m had some huge pop or I just glided off Bosco. :D Actually I brought my hex copter up to get some footage of people flying through the air. Seeing as I was the only one on the mountain and I have not firgured out how to get the hex to follow me, yet, I got some nice footage of the landscape. I hope next time that drone + kiters = epic footage.
fredishlarsen

Postby Tom Reynolds » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:35 am

Very cool- I thought the shots looked to be too high for kite line height. Can't wait to see more action pics and vids from the eye in the sky
Tom Reynolds

Postby Craig Goudie » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:35 pm

Hey Fred,

How much wind will your hex copter tolerate, and still fly without crashing? I was thinking about trying
one in 20-30mph.

-Craig

fredishlarsen wrote:I was hoping everyone would think that the Speed 3 21m had some huge pop or I just glided off Bosco. :D Actually I brought my hex copter up to get some footage of people flying through the air. Seeing as I was the only one on the mountain and I have not firgured out how to get the hex to follow me, yet, I got some nice footage of the landscape. I hope next time that drone + kiters = epic footage.
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby fredishlarsen » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:41 pm

Craig,

I have flow in a very gusty 20 mph no problem. Jon at Adreniline RC in Riverdale says he has flown in wind that was almost knocking trees over. I think my hex will handle 30 mph. It just burns through the batteries faster. I'm flying the DJI F550. Can't wait to get some footage.

Craig Goudie wrote:Hey Fred,

How much wind will your hex copter tolerate, and still fly without crashing? I was thinking about trying
one in 20-30mph.

-Craig

fredishlarsen wrote:I was hoping everyone would think that the Speed 3 21m had some huge pop or I just glided off Bosco. :D Actually I brought my hex copter up to get some footage of people flying through the air. Seeing as I was the only one on the mountain and I have not firgured out how to get the hex to follow me, yet, I got some nice footage of the landscape. I hope next time that drone + kiters = epic footage.
fredishlarsen

Postby mike loeser » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:50 pm

I had some questions on your copter. I just got a cheap x525 after flying the toy ones for a while. My FC doesn't seem to be setup correctly - do you know how to get the trims and things figured out? The online manual is written in classic chinglesh and the motor orders are labeled differently in two of the pictures which doesn't help at all. Its got the kk 5.5 blackboard.
My other question is if I get it working how do I waterproof it?
Thanks man.
mike loeser

Postby fredishlarsen » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:22 pm

mike loeser wrote:I had some questions on your copter. I just got a cheap x525 after flying the toy ones for a while. My FC doesn't seem to be setup correctly - do you know how to get the trims and things figured out? The online manual is written in classic chinglesh and the motor orders are labeled differently in two of the pictures which doesn't help at all. Its got the kk 5.5 blackboard.
My other question is if I get it working how do I waterproof it?
Thanks man.

If you live anywhere near Roy or are ever passing by the Roy exit I would suggest stopping by Adreniline RC. It's right off the Roy exit. Jon McBride there knows just about everything about multi rotors and RC in general. He has helped me out a lot.
fredishlarsen

Return to Wind Log