Skyline info please

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Skyline info please

Postby jparker » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:49 am

Hi,

I am over in Colorado and I am looking for info on Skyline.

Lodging: I would like to come over a few times this winter and would like some info on lodging. I would probably spend anwhere from 2 to 4 nights at a time. pet friendly lodging preffered.

Weather: What weather conditions to look for ahead of time for predicting the best times to visit? What weather conditions create a complete bust?

thanks, Joel
jparker

Postby windzup » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:28 am

http://www.windzup.com has weather links for current info on Skyline.

The Skyline motel is the closest lodging at lower rates and is pet friendly.

Regular weather is usually good at Skyline. Avoid storms! Even heavy cloud cover can make visibility poor. Like rolling the dice, you just have to go and hope for good wind.

Windzup,
Brian Schenck
windzup

Postby Kenny » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:43 pm

Joel,

A massive high pressure over the entire region can shut down the wind. Skyline is subject to whiteouts, but other riding areas are often a possibility if Skyline is socked-in.
Kenny
Site Admin

Postby windzup » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:21 am

While High pressure is always a wind watchers enemy....one of the neat things about Skylines weather, is that it actually creates its own (light wind) thermal under the big 'H' conditions. For example, last Sunday and Monday turned out decent rides as 'normal' weather rolled in under the high pressure cycle.

Don't get me wrong, winds in the 5-12mph range are weak...but still ridable with big kites at Skyline during settled high pressure cycles.

Skyline is no hood river when it comes to wind strength....but it does turn out consistent rides in most conditions.

My opinion should be subject to careful review....as I also enjoy riding in the stomach losing whiteouts..( just use a GPS :D

Windzup,
Brian
windzup

thanks guys, now some directions info

Postby jparker » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:12 pm

I would drive up hwy 6 thru Price and on the maps and I have 2 shortcuts instead of going all the way to rte 89. Can I come over from Colton on 96 thru Scofield? or is it better to come Huntington on rte 31....or forget both of those due to road conditions?

I haven't finalized my road plans but it may be Aspen to Strawberry/Skyline or visa versa pending weather and dates.

thanks for the help

Joel
jparker

Postby windzup » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:57 am

Coming from the east, go from Price down to Huntington...then up 31 to mile marker 14. That is the best way to back door Skyline. No need driving around to 89, and Scofield route is scenic but more mileage.

Windzup,
Brian Schenck
Excitement, adventure... a Snowkite Jedi craves not these things.
windzup

thanks all

Postby jparker » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:12 pm

thanks for all the info, i'll see everyone after Xmas.

joel
jparker

Return to Main Message Board