kite lessons

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

kite lessons

Postby chris_nugent » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:15 pm

Just purchased a kite set up, ready to get going, and I am looking for local lessons or anyone that is willing to teach me the safety basics so I can beat myself up safely!
chris_nugent

Postby Jacob Buzianis » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:31 pm

What kite set up do you have?
Jacob Buzianis

Postby chris_nugent » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:43 pm

waroo 14m, 07 bar, liquid force WLF, I have also been flying a trainer for 7 months
chris_nugent

Postby lesvierra » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:56 pm

Chris,

If you're interested in paying for lessons, there are a few schools in Northern Utah. I can give you a lesson up at Powder Mountain. I can get you on smaller waroos to start which would get you ready for you 14m. Let me know if you're interested, also check out my school at http://www.utahkiteaddiction.com for more info.

Other instructors are at kiteutah.com and funseekers.org for instruction at Strawberry Res and Skyline, all good choices.

Good Luck, Les
(801) 391-7481
lesvierra

Postby Jacob Buzianis » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:01 pm

Chris,

you might want to hook up with Les if you haven't kited on the water and snow. It will be worth your time and safety.

Have fun kiting
Jacob Buzianis

Postby joshgubler » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:17 pm

If you want to get a jump start on lessons, read everything at http://www.kitesurfingschool.org
I think that studying up and flying a trainer kite really gave me an advantage to the other students I was learning with.
joshgubler

Postby MikE mAy » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:24 am

here are my $.02.
definintely take a lesson. they will jump start your long learning process. i flew a trainer for about 7 months as well and then took a lesson in maui last spring about this time. the trainer skills will definitely boost your learning curve. one thing my instructor told me when i set up the lesson was to go practice flying your trainer one handed and practice power moves to start. i even went so far as tying a chicken loop on my bar and practicing flying it hooked into my harness. it still took me all summer to learn to kite on water and still really didn't "get it" until my time on snow this winter. lessons will drill some important safety backups and procedures that will come in handy when things feel like they are hitting the fan. also along these lines, hook up with a local and most of us are willing to show you how to do things. i'm still learning everything myself, but get some good local how-to advice on set up and riding and all that. these guys have helped me out a bunch and are all very friendly. i think we have a world class group of core locals here.

secondly, les is a great resourse from what i've heard. powder mountian is a great place to learn and moreover if you have any snow sports background, it is for sure advantageous to take a lesson on snow. my kiting skills have doubled if not tripled since i've been riding on the snow. things are so much easier when you dont' have to worry about treading water or planing and going upwind as you are starting to ride. if i could do it all over again i would have started on snow and moved to water.

go get em! hope to see you out there.
MikE mAy

Postby kenclewis » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:32 pm

I must chime in myself. I logged more time being pulled by my kite the first day out on snow (2 hour session) then the previous 2 years of water attempts. Les also gave me lots of pointers and I would highly recommend him! He has made all the difference in the world for me!
kenclewis

Return to Main Message Board