Saturday June 16th - Deer Creek - UWA Event Results

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Saturday June 16th - Deer Creek - UWA Event Results

Postby Josh Shirley » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:06 pm

Utah Summer Games
June 16th, 2007
Deer Creek Res. - Sailboat Beach
Slalom Course Race for Kiters and Windsurfers
$20 - Event Fee (No preregistration, sign up the day of the event.) This is a Utah Summers Games fee - to take care of admin stuff. Check or Cash (their website might have a payment system in place, but I don't know anything about that.)
$10 - UWA Membership (if not yet paid)

The Utah Summer Games sailing event coordinator, Brett Bingham, has invited us to participate in the sailing event this year. Since the Utah Summer Games is sponsoring the event each participant will receive a teeshirt and the winners will receive medals (bronze, silver, iron pyrite.)

Event Schedule:
10:00 Am to 11:00 AM- Registration (sign up the day of, no preregistration needed.)
11:30 - Skippers Meeting
Noon - Racing Starts
4:00pm - BBQ - BYOB (No glass allowed)

Whether or not the wind blows or sucks it would be good for as many people to come out as possible. Then next year we will have more control over the venue and schedule. They (Utah Summer Games) just want to see that we are serious about it.

Josh Shirley
joshua_shirley@hotmail.com - 801 859-9897
Jacob Buzianis
jbuzianis@comcast.net - 801 998-8546
Last edited by Josh Shirley on Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:06 am, edited 5 times in total.
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Postby Josh Shirley » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:25 pm

We will adjust the course for 15 to 20 minute heats based on the wind. It will be a downwind slalom course. This means the course will be 4 reaches across the lake with all the turns being gybes. It should look something like this:
This should make for a fast and fun course, which everyone can participate in.

We will have as many heats as possible, so everyone gets to sail/kite a lot. Each heat the finishers will be scored. (low score system)
1st place - 1 point
2nd place - 2 points
3rd place - 3 points
up to the total number of sailors in the heat.
All DNF get the max points - 10 sailors means 10 points for DNF.

At the end of the day, each sailor/kiter's score will be tallied and the highest score will be dropped to give a total.
So if I my scores were as follows:
Heat 1: 3 points
Heat 2: 5 points
Heat 3: DNF - 12 points
Heat 4: 8 points
Heat 5: 2 points
Total points: 30 points (Drop the highest score 12 points) = 18 points.

After all the heats are concluded the totals will be added and the winner determined.
This system allows for a lot of sailing and many mistakes. If Jim S keeps leaving you in the dust then the next heat you can make up for that.

This is going to a memorable event. Very well organized and a great time to be out. This is a great day to get out with a lot of other sailors/kiters/friends/family and have a good time.

Also we have a pretty good dinner planned for after the race.
If you can't participate for some reason but would like to come anyway, I could use a couple of volunteers to help with officiating.
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Postby ljevaga » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:51 pm

Hey dude,

me and my two boys will be camping up close to DC and so that works out perfect. The boss will be coming up with my girls and so that will be a sweet picnic for the fanau.

See you there bro
later
ljevaga

Postby Carl Christensen » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:10 pm

Looks like the forecast includes some south push on Friday and Saturday. Nothing would be nicer than a little cooperation from the wind god(dess) of Provo Canyon.
Carl C.
Carl Christensen

Postby Marty Lowe » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:48 pm

If I was thinking about racing, both kite and windsurfing,
will I be able to do both?

What's the plan?

All kite racing, then all windsurfing,
or kite then windsurf, kite then windsurf, kite then windsurf.

-Marty 8)
Marty Lowe

Postby Josh Shirley » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:43 am

Well I am thinking of alternating the heats. Windsurfing than Kiters, repeat. But we might be able to work something out.
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Postby RickHeninger » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:06 pm

Aloha addicts!

Looks like a fun event...

This is my first chance to get onto a computer since getting to Maui... That is a good thing though...

So, I can't wait to hear how this went... Nice work Josh... I hope that the wind cooperated... I watched a race at Kanaha similar to this a couple of days ago...

I hesitate to post about my experience here in Maui... Hope it went well... See you on the 25th...

:)
RickHeninger
Site Admin

Results

Postby Josh Shirley » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:00 pm

I don't have all the paperwork in front of me so I can't give all the participants names. I will do that tomorrow morning.

Thanks to everyone the showed up, especially the wind. That was my biggest concern. It really seemed to steady out after most everyone left. Those that were left over were too sunburned to play or too tired. Wasted wind, oh well.

As far as the winners:

Windsurfing:
3 - George Ward
2 - Steve Hicks
1 - Erik Mumford

Kiteboarding
3 - Steve Mayer
1 - Spencer R
1 - Jacob Buzianis

Jacob and Spencer tied for first.
Erik and George call me to arrange picking up your medals.

Thanks to everyone that came and helped out.

Props go out to Steve Hicks for reading his emails at 6:30am, finding out about the race, mowing his lawn at 7am, packing his car, and driving 3 hours from Brigham City to join in. We appreciated your support.
Last edited by Josh Shirley on Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Postby lesvierra » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:02 pm

Jacob and Spencer tied for first.

Pun entended?
lesvierra

Postby Spencer R » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:21 am

Ya Jake and I really did "Tie" our kites up, but we were definitely not the "first" to do so. I think that honor has to go to Marty and Steve on the first heat, then Nate and Steve on the last heat. So I would say the over all winner should have been Steve. :D
Spencer R

photo's

Postby stevemayer » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:19 pm

anyone know if there is a link to a photo from the Sunday Paper the day after the event? There is a dirty rumor that there is a photo of me an entire 3 inches off the ground that made the paper...

steve mayer
stevemayer@gmail.com
Stop by Cloud 9 Soaring Center or check us out on line at http://www.paragliders.com for all your kites and flying needs. Special UWA prices.
stevemayer

Return to Main Message Board