Lake Mohave

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

Lake Mohave

Postby Jarek Chojnacki » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:37 am

The weather forecast for Wednesday (03/05) called for winds up to 23 mph. From my short experience from sailing at the Katherine Landing and from the locals, or actually one local - Carl I knew that it meant plenty of wind at the Cabinsite. So, after a night of driving from Salt Lake to Las Vegas I din't waste too much time and headed for the Katherine's. Already on the way I had plenty of wind, but boy was I surprised when I arrived at the lakeshore. The Cabinsite welcomed me with white caps and spray being lifted off the waves and blown all over. At times it seemed as if the lake was completely covered with white caps. It took me about 15 minutes before I decided to rig. I started to pull my gear from my car, but when at one point my board nearly flew away, even though it was laying flat I decided that maybe the wind was a tad too strong my smallest sail (5m2) and current skills. For the first time in my short windsurfing career I retreated. Had I decided to go on the water I'd have probably been just fighting to survive and stay afloat. I had sailed in the winds reaching 40mph but these conditions didn't compare to that. I had to regroup and decided that my only option to get some time on my board would be to go to the 6 Mile Cove. I arrived there at 11 am. The wind was noticeably lighter but still plenty of it. After a short while I decided to rig my 6 and go out on my 95 liter board. I had a good session for nearly 2 hours. After that the wind seemed to peter off a little, so after a short break I rigged my 7 and switched to a bigger board - 115. This session was even better. Powered up most of the time. I stayed on the water till 5pm. Between the 2 sessions I covered just over 54 miles and topped out at 29 mph.
Guys, it's time someone stopped me from having the entire lake to myself.
Jarek Chojnacki

Re: Lake Mohave

Postby John Dubock » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:58 am

Jarek you are da man! For those of you that haven't heard, Jarek is the Sophmore of the Year. Fearless, wind crazed, and not afraid to sail alone in any conditions. He needs to win the Lottery because he has no idea how much gear he's going to go through. Josh and I have met The Jarek, and he's one stoked sailor. Few of us can recall how wind crazed we were in our second full year, sail with Jarek of Las Vegas and you'll feel it...

http://picasaweb.google.com/hypersailor ... tsTDay2007

http://picasaweb.google.com/hypersailor/MojaveWedAM
John Dubock

Postby bigwavedave » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:50 am

I recall how wind crazed I was my second year. Without knowing anything about weather I'd drive a loop from Sale Lake to East Canyone Reservoir to Echo Reservoir to Pineview, to Jordanelle, to Deer Creek, To Utah Lake and often times back home without ever finding wind. To this day it's still a love/hate relationship betwen windsports and I. I hate the time wasted waiting for the great wind days but when they come it just makes it that much more sweet!!
bigwavedave

Postby Josh Shirley » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:55 am

Jarek

Thanks for the sharing the love. The wind meter at the airport was reading 38 to 52 while you were there, that was all day long too. Now is the time to get a 3.0 and a 65 liter wave board.
The only downside to your post is that Mike is definitely not going to stop bugging me to head on down there for some winter training.

Keep posting your adventures down there.

Josh
Whatever thou art, do well thy part.
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Postby RickHeninger » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:05 pm

You are awesome Jarek!

What's all this about being excited in our "younger" days... I must've been held back because I recall quite recently making a desperate 1 day trip down to Mohave to have one of the most memorable sessions/trips of my windsurfing life... And I'd be like a 10 year senior or something crazy like that!

Jarek, keep it coming man... Those of us who can't windsurf right now get to live vicariously through your sessions...

Rick.
RickHeninger
Site Admin

Return to Wind Log