Where to Ride 6/30

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Where to Ride 6/30

Postby Craig Goudie » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:48 am

DC looks like your last chance for wind for a while. Formula boards
and an 8.5 minimum might get you planing on the PM thermal about 1.
Sulfur might have a couple of big gear rides left this PM also. Maybe
a 20M ride at Rush on the North thermal in the PM.

It's time to start thinking Gorge, most of the Surfrats have already left
the ship (Yuk Yuk).

-Craig
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Craig - weather 101

Postby stevemayer » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:53 pm

Folks, please lets learn a bit about weather. I have read with horror as "craig" has predicted wind and put suggestions on where to ride and at what time of day. Fist off I will keep my big mouth shut about wind surfing, and just speak to the kiters.

DON'T kite in Utah mid day, DO Learn about weather. God, have we not learned!!!! The days that this guy is saying to go to Rush around 1 have been just nuts. 1 holly shit, 1 o'clock in utah on hot days is insaine 99% of the time if the wind is blowing.

We teach basic weather every day of the week and offer great video's and books on weather. Please take a moment to learn about it. I was out and blown off the water 2 days this week prior to 11:00 am. Anyone going after 11 would be risking a lot.

Am I being harsh on Craig.... hell yes. Do I have good reason Hell yes.

As a full time paragliding instructor and owner of a kite shop, we just shake our head at some of the needless accidents.

Last example, Tuesday he said to be at rush for gusty wind rides for kite surfing. Shit, it was hailing at our shop then and a gust front that measured 49 MPH rolled through. This is not rocket science, if they say "afternoon thurnder storms" Go put put golfing indoors.

Steve Mayer
the guy that has had too many friends hurt/killed/paralized because of bad weather decisions.
Stop by Cloud 9 Soaring Center or check us out on line at http://www.paragliders.com for all your kites and flying needs. Special UWA prices.
stevemayer

Postby Marty Lowe » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:21 pm

I call bull shit!!

I don' think anyone will kite in conditions inappropriate because of Craig' posts.
Thunderstorms are obvious.
Do you really think someone will stay on the water because Craig posts his forecast?
Are you saying that everyday around 1:00 to go home?
Are you going to the same Rush Lake that Craig and I have been going to for almost 20 years?

Are you saying Mitch went out because of Craig's forecast?
NOT A CHANCE

What I read into your post, is that you think we are all Dumb Ass's.

Give us some credit to use our own grey matter.

"This is not rocket science"

Craig--don't change a thing, your forecasts are invaluable to all but one.

Steve--be prepared to be flamed!!

Am I being harsh to Steve's post...Hell yes.
Do I have good reason Hell yes.

Speaking of dangerous....

The other day, didn't you come in 20 feet down wind of me when I was changing boards?
You didn't leave any safety cushion in case I dropped my kite or a gust came by, or if I slipped in the mud.
I turned around to go back out , and there you were.
That is why I yelled "you are scarring me".

-Marty
Marty Lowe

Keeping on Positive side

Postby RickHeninger » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:07 pm

I said I was going to delete the negative... I think that we should delete all the negatives in this thread for Mitch and now just focus on the positives.

ie...I know I am going to try to remember to use my head when on the water. ALWAYS looking for bad weather to avoid...

Thanks again Craig!!!
Last edited by RickHeninger on Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
RickHeninger
Site Admin

Postby miker » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:44 pm

I'm calling f?>king bull shit!!!

There is no way Craig's forecast puts any one in danger. Craig is posting his forecast in morning, no one knows if there is going to deadly microburst wind 8 hours later. Give me a break.

The kiteboarding accidents that have happened in Utah have happen to experienced kiteboarders who both knew the weather very well. Both accidents happened in gusty winds and very obvious extreme weather days. It’s the "stoke" or “adrenaline” of the sport that skews our better judgment. A huge black cloud upwind spewing dust at the base is a clear sign NOT to go out. But some choose the ignore it and there nothing we can do about. Ryan, one of the guys who trying to hold Derik down when Derik was injured, doesn’t wear a helmet today. Go figure?

Most of the accidents could have been avoided by using common sense and safety gear. Derik should have had helmet and Mitch should been of the water and using a releasable chicken loop.

I had a great a session last Saturday and Monday at 1:00pm. We have brains and most of us kiteboarders use their brain 99% of time. It’s the 1% that we have to accept as the risk of the sport
miker
Site Admin

Postby Emmanuel Pons » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:32 pm

Craig: You're doing a really really great job.
I NEED your forecast... Keep sending them :)
Emmanuel Pons

Postby Vern Stokes » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:35 am

I think Craig has done a great job providing us with his forcasts day after day week after week.............................
Last edited by Vern Stokes on Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vern Stokes

Postby Marty Lowe » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:40 am

Last edited by Marty Lowe on Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marty Lowe

Postby Willy Sturgis » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:10 am

I have been windsurfing Utah for some time now. I have never met Craig and yet have trusted his "where to ride" forecast because they work. Anything I could do to return the favour Craig count me in..... What's paragliding????
Willy Sturgis

Re: Craig - weather 101

Postby Marty Lowe » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:13 am

stevemayer wrote:Folks, please lets learn a bit about weather. I have read with horror as "craig" has predicted wind and put suggestions on where to ride and at what time of day. Fist off I will keep my big mouth shut about wind surfing, and just speak to the kiters.

DON'T kite in Utah mid day, DO Learn about weather. God, have we not learned!!!! The days that this guy is saying to go to Rush around 1 have been just nuts. 1 holly shit, 1 o'clock in utah on hot days is insaine 99% of the time if the wind is blowing.

We teach basic weather every day of the week and offer great video's and books on weather. Please take a moment to learn about it. I was out and blown off the water 2 days this week prior to 11:00 am. Anyone going after 11 would be risking a lot.

Am I being harsh on Craig.... hell yes. Do I have good reason Hell yes.

As a full time paragliding instructor and owner of a kite shop, we just shake our head at some of the needless accidents.

Last example, Tuesday he said to be at rush for gusty wind rides for kite surfing. Shit, it was hailing at our shop then and a gust front that measured 49 MPH rolled through. This is not rocket science, if they say "afternoon thurnder storms" Go put put golfing indoors.

Steve Mayer
the guy that has had too many friends hurt/killed/paralized because of bad weather decisions.
Last edited by Marty Lowe on Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marty Lowe

What a nasty attitude Steve....

Postby Sarah Ranes » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:36 am

WHO PISSED IN YOUR CORN FLAKES THIS MORNING? If you don't like Craig's weather advice, then don't look at it or read it! I happen to look forward to it each and every day, and I have to say that it's been pretty darn accurate and has gotten me on the water a lot more. He is a great guy and puts a lot of heart and time into the forcast.
LET'S SEE YOU DO BETTER. WHY DON'T YOU PUT UP A FORCAST, AND WELL EVALUATE YOUR STYLE.....GOOD LUCK! Lighten Up!
Sarah Ranes

Jerk

Postby John Dubock » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:42 am

I vote to boot this clown off the UWA site, rather than a flame war, take away his posting rights. Real simple, get back to sailing.
John Dubock

Postby Craig Goudie » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:33 am

What kind of reply can you make to something like this. Out of respect
I won't comment on specific instances. But, I'm not a General, and I
don't order people to do things. This whole forecasting thing started,
because people kept calling me up (sometimes people I don't even know)
to ask what my OPINION was about where the wind was gonna blow.
It was easier to post than answer all the calls. Any one with a phone line
and a computer has access to the same information (several of you
even have the same years of experience), but not everyone
wants to take the time.

I guess it was inevitable that this profile would ultimately make me a target.
I've never wanted the notoriety, and would be much more comfortable
without it. Naturally, this type comment suggests that the antagonists
do forecasts themselves, and I guess they have, so all Kite boarders
out there remember that 1 PM (or just mid afternoon) is forever bad,
that's the extent of your permanent forecast.

What you get here is my best guess, if you are reading that in "horror"
please remember that you are more than a brain stem. I've said many
times weather is highly chaotic. I've really blown some forecasts (usually
it's no wind when I thought there'd be some) and I've
gotten some right, but you all get to choose whether to act on my guess.
It should be just one data point in a much larger decision equation.

To suggest that Wind Riders are mindless zombies forced to follow whatever
They read on a Web page, offends us all.

I have attempted to give equal response to both Kite boarding and Windsurfing
in the forecasts, but most if not all, of the UWA knows I have limited experience
Kite boarding. If that causes the Kite boarding community concern, I’d be happy to
post strictly about windsurf potential. I don’t do this for the glory (though there is
considerable joy in seeing all my brother’s and sisters having a good time
Kite boarding or Windsurfing, because of the forecasts)

Recent events have weighed very heavily on my mind, but ultimately
only a lunatic would presume that weather is controllable. What we have
control over is our behavior.

-Craig
Last edited by Craig Goudie on Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

nice job

Postby BrettLinde » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:35 am

snip>"first of all I will keep my big mouth shut about the Wind Surfers and just speak to the kite boarders"

nice... Right away this guy chooses to alienate most of this forum and sell his business to us while beating up the only guy that gives any of us a chance to sail/kite and not get skunked.

snip>"We teach basic weather every day of the week and offer great video's and books on weather."

"We", meaning My Business, teach basic weather??? Do you teach common sense for a fee as well.. I would purchase the video on common sense first, then on promoting my business on a local forum next...

snip>"As a full time paragliding instructor and owner of a kite shop, we just shake our head at some of the needless accidents."

Keep shakin your head because needless accidents will always happen and not because of someone posting his weather predictions.

this next comment is my favorite, really shows where this guy is comin from.

snip>"Tuesday he said to be at rush for gusty wind rides for kite surfing. Shit, it was hailing at our shop then and a gust front that measured 49 MPH rolled through. This is not rocket science, if they say "afternoon thurnder storms" Go put put golfing indoors.

Notice how he points the finger at Craig,,, He Said?... He Said?? give me a F..CKN break.. He said to be at Rush??
Hey Craig.. since you are telling us what to do and where to do it, Tell this guy to shut his cake hole and go sell crazy some where else.
WE GOT ENOUGH CRAZY ROUND HERE ANYWAY??

AND NOW FOR THE KICKER..
And lets all snip>"stop by Cloud 9 Soaring Center or check us out on line at http://www.paragliders.com for all your kites and flying needs. Special UWA prices."

Lets all support this guys business and buy our stuff from Cloud 9..

Any competitor will do thank you.. and I am interested in Paragliding..

Steve, I want to give you the benefit of the doubt because its easy to post something and be misunderstood.. Please let us know if this is the case and apologize for your mis-statements. If not, good luck.

Brett
BrettLinde

Re: Jerk

Postby Craig Goudie » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:47 am

I think people should have the right to voice their opinion, if it starts to get
really ugly I'll lock the thread. So far, the "war" is a little one sided,
and I thank you all (both Kite boarders and Windsurfers) for your support.

-Craig

John Dubock wrote:I vote to boot this clown off the UWA site, rather than a flame war, take away his posting rights. Real simple, get back to sailing.
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Next

Return to Main Message Board