Stand Up Paddle Boarding in Utah!!!

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

Stand Up Paddle Boarding in Utah!!!

Postby stevemayer » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:10 pm

Ok, got to the lake too early yesterday, so paddled my new toy for a few hours, what a work out. Here is the new deal, they now have INFLATEABLE SUP's, they are just about as ridgid as a solid board. Cloud 9 Toys (the Kite Surf shop) has them in stock. The material is stiff rubber like on a huge raft, pump up, slide in the fins and you are off and rolling in 5 to 7 minutes.

Today was epic, used the new toy to paddle down the Provo river, that is what Utah can offer this new sport, river running! The upper section right below the damn to the falls are mellow, never got wet and easy take out, deflate the SUP (4.5 minutes to pack up in the dry bag) and hitch hike up with the pack and 2 piece paddle. the pack is about the size of a kite surfing wing.

Speaking of Kite suring, we now have in the new 2009 BEST kites, call or stop by Cloud 9 for any info on kites by Ozone, Best or Stand Up Paddleboards.

Steve Mayer
Shamless plug
Cloud 9 Toys
801-576-6460
Stop by Cloud 9 Soaring Center or check us out on line at http://www.paragliders.com for all your kites and flying needs. Special UWA prices.
stevemayer

Re: Stand Up Paddle Boarding in Utah!!!

Postby Brian Kelm » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:56 am

Yo shameless plugger - put me down for one of them there inflatable paddle boards (maybe 2 if i can convince the wife). I've been wanting to get one but have no room in the f'g garage but with it being inflatable, I could find a spot and sneak it in there and no one would be the wiser...
Brian Kelm

Postby KyrkWright » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:29 pm

Hey, how much are the inflatable SUP's?

Thanks.
KyrkWright

Postby stevemayer » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:36 am

$895 is retails on the Kona boards, they come with pump, board, fins, really nice dry bag to store and travel with everything (MAY fit in the overhead baggage on an airliner, let you know next week!).

For UWR memers, we are offering our "student" price of $100 off to grow the sport, this applies to regular sup's as well, we have several brands on the line up for fall, but most companies are totally out of stock for summer. The Laird boards will be in mid September.

So, $795 plus paddle, there are a few options on paddles, but we are suggesting for river running, the inexpensive Kona paddle, it is bomber, a bit heavier but at only $99 it is not the end of the world if you smash it around on the rocks.

Cloud 9 Toys
801-576-6460

we had 10, now only 1 left this week, have ordered 10 more so come by to reserve one. Each time on the lake or river, we have sold the 2 new that have had in the back of the car to bystanders.
Stop by Cloud 9 Soaring Center or check us out on line at http://www.paragliders.com for all your kites and flying needs. Special UWA prices.
stevemayer

Return to Wind Log