9/20 mm19 5.7 84l

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

9/20 mm19 5.7 84l

Postby jimhornbeck » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:47 pm

Josh and I sailed some nice waves. Very solid wind , over powered much of the time .Made for some good jumping.
jimhornbeck

Re: 9/20 mm19 5.7 84l

Postby June Akrs » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:24 am

What time?
Did you decide to go based on sensor readings (if so, which one(s)?) or just based on the general strong S wind?

I looked at UL readings, but nothing convinced me to even consider heading there.

Did anybody get Grantsville?
I got there about 8:30 Sat. and it didn't seem impressive, the readings had dropped from their earlier high. Nobody but fishing boats on the water. I hung around till 9 am till I figured it must have shut down for the day. Later I checked the readings and it looked like I was there for a lull. After doing some chores and taking a nap, I saw the readings had pretty much stayed up since I left, so I headed back out on the highway around 3 pm. When I saw SLC flags blowing out of the north, I checked the readings again, and while Gville was still S, it was weak, so I turned the car around for home.

I BLEW IT! Please help me figure this place out! Maybe I should post this under the newbies forum.
June Akrs

Postby jimhornbeck » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:06 pm

mm19 is a real crap shot .You also feel like you may get shot at as you drive in.The wind has to be strong to the south.Delta 30 or more,south west is best.The wind came in 4:00 or so . We went down about 2:30 . So we hung out on the slim chance .You cant wait for provo to come up. The wind will be gone by the time you get to mm19.josh told me to go. He is the man.
jimhornbeck

Postby June Akrs » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:39 am

Ahhh, I finally found a wind sensor that shows the wind near MM19 on Saturday.

See that day's history here:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KUTSARAT6&month=9&day=20&year=2008

I believe it confirms what you experienced; whether it can be used as a predictor, I don't know.

The link for the current conditions there would be:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KUTSARAT6

I've taken the liberty of adding this link to the MM19 description on the google map. I'll try to keep an eye on it to see if it accurately reflects onsite reports (hopefully my own onsite observation will be part of that!) :))

Strange though how none of the other sensors (Olympic Park, Lehi HS, Provo) really show much at that time. Is it really that localized? Or are the other sensors just in bad locations? Seems like a big body of water like that would be a nice place for wind to blow. I suppose maybe it just spreads out over the great expanse of it. These are mostly rhetorical questions, but if anybody has any insight, I'd love to hear it.
June Akrs

Return to Wind Log