Sailing Nomenclature

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Sailing Nomenclature

Postby Rick McClain » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:20 pm

Hi,
I've looked and looked, but been unable to find a good illustration of a sailboard showing the nomenclature of a sailboard and sail on the web. About the only one I could find was the one of one of the first boards out there; so I created my own. I couldn't find one on any of the magazine sites, so I gave up looking. If anyone is interested it is at: http://photographers1.com/Sailing/Nauti ... ature.html
When I started it, I couldn't stop, so it includes information on sailing in general, but I hope others, especially beginners, will find it interesting and useful. Since we don't have a nomenclature diagram on our UWA site for beginners, perhaps someone can put a link to it on the site. I thought I'd better let someone else decide.
...and if there is something that I should have put in there, that I left out; let me know.

Rick McClain
Rick McClain

Re: Sailing Nomenclature

Postby Craig Goudie » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:09 am

Killer Rick!

I particularly like the color blended board. You might also include the"In-Haul" where the boom
attaches to the mast, and when i bring the picture up, the out-haul say "ou haul"

Here's an additional definition for you "Omwub" "Offa my wave Utah boy".
Usage: When Danger D snakes one of my premium Gorge swells right in front
of me, I yell "hey that's mine, omwub!" ;*) ;*)

-Craig

p.s, if I can remember how, and I get a chance, I'll link that to the beginner page

Rick McClain wrote:Hi,
I've looked and looked, but been unable to find a good illustration of a sailboard showing the nomenclature of a sailboard and sail on the web. About the only one I could find was the one of one of the first boards out there; so I created my own. I couldn't find one on any of the magazine sites, so I gave up looking. If anyone is interested it is at: http://photographers1.com/Sailing/Nauti ... ature.html
When I started it, I couldn't stop, so it includes information on sailing in general, but I hope others, especially beginners, will find it interesting and useful. Since we don't have a nomenclature diagram on our UWA site for beginners, perhaps someone can put a link to it on the site. I thought I'd better let someone else decide.
...and if there is something that I should have put in there, that I left out; let me know.

Rick McClain
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby Josh Shirley » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

Good job Rick.

I used windance a lot when I was starting out. http://www.windance.com/info_source/dictionary/dictionary_A.asp

I think there is a lot we can add to our learn to page.
I am working on some tutorials now.

There is one area that I thought would be important to add to the learn to page as well. - weather.
I remember starting out - I mostly confused by the weather terminology people used. Maybe I could get Craig to give me some content and I could put together the page. Or if other weather guru's had some info to add. I would be more than happy to put that webpage or pages together.

Josh
Whatever thou art, do well thy part.
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Postby Rick McClain » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:14 pm

Hey,
Thanks for the input, guys.
Craig, "Outhaul" is spelled correctly there, the kerning of that font is just poor. I'm not sure I can adjust it or not. I'll try.
Also, "inhaul". I've never heard that term used in sailboarding. "Boom Head" or "Boom Nose" I've heard. Is that what you are referring to?
Josh, that link looks like a good one, except, all I see is the "ABC's", no "D - Z"; and there is no link on the page to the other letters. Is there something I am overlooking, or a different start page that has them all?
Rick McClain

Postby Josh Shirley » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:32 pm

The windance website has been undergoing lots of changes this year with the new owner.

To get to all the letters you start from the main page. www.windance.com

on their main menu click on "about" then click on "information" then on "dictionary" then on the letter you want.

Not the greatest system. It is a relic of the old old website that they don't find important enough to update.

There is some other interesting pages as well.

in haul - is the basically your boom clamp (before the days of clamps you would in haul your boom.)
Rigging guides say: 1st - top haul, 2nd in haul, 3rd down haul, 4th out haul, and 5th up haul. I think it is terrible jargon, but windsurfing is/was created by engineers not marketing folk.

Rick:
look into CSS - Cascading style sheets. They make formatting much easier. Here are some links:
http://www.w3schools.com/css/
http://www.csstutorial.net/

Also try htmlgoodies - they have tutorials about all kinds of stuff.
http://www.htmlgoodies.com
Whatever thou art, do well thy part.
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Postby Rick McClain » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:47 pm

Wow! You're right. I'd never have thought to look for that information under "About".
Thanks for the other links on CSS. ..and I think I'll ad "Boom Head or Boom Clamp" to my illustration.
Rick McClain

Postby Rick McClain » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:22 pm

Thanks Guys,
I made some changes and it is "New and Improved" and ready for your perusal, criticism, and comments. Newly added color to the ship!!! Anything else I missed?

http://www.photographers1.com/Sailing/N ... ature.html

Hope you enjoy.

Thanks, Rick McClain
Rick McClain

Postby RickHeninger » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:43 pm

Rick,

Just saw this, I've been super busy and moving so haven't been on the site for a while...

When I was getting everything together for the first beginner day I wanted a windsurfing rig drawing, labeled with all its parts and couldn't find one to my liking. I'll bet this is going to help more people than you think. That's really cool you did this...

Well you asked, I hate to say it, but I'd suggest modernizing the sail shape! ;)) Here's a labeled rig I had found on the internet for before. Yours is much more detailed but the shape of this one is what I liked. Besides that, it's awesome you did this.

windsurfnig-board-test.jpg
labeled windsurf rig
RickHeninger
Site Admin

Postby Rick McClain » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:49 pm

Well,
Thanks for the compliments, but this is not to scale, and it is shaped just about like all the 10 to 20 year old sails that I own; and they seem to work ok, so that's what I know and drew. The only thing in that drawing that isn't on mine is the topmost batten or gaff or whatever it is. If I had known what it is, maybe I would have put it in there, but none of my sails have one. What is it? :^^ Even my newest sail just has a flexible mast tip extension and is shaped not too differently from my illustration. Surely your not trying to imply that my equipment is old or that I need new STUFF? :oo
Oops! I guess I better come up with a definition for "Stuff." :)))
Tell me what that thing is called and I'll try to modify my illustration.
Thanks for the input.
Rick McClain
Rick McClain

Postby Rick McClain » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:22 am

Ok,
This isn't just like the sail you showed me, but it's brand new. Just like a Sailworks sail, but slightly simpler for illustration purposes.

Hope everyone likes it.

Rick McClain
Rick McClain

Postby RickHeninger » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:38 am

Nice! ;)

Looks great. And it does make a difference... I was judging myself as being too picky, but upon seeing the more modern shape there, I think that it is important.
RickHeninger
Site Admin

Return to Main Message Board