MONA'S RULES AND REGULATIONS

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

MONA'S RULES AND REGULATIONS

Postby David Kyle » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:20 pm

I have been riding Mona a lot lately since I live just 15 minutes away.
I am starting to get a feel for the joint and would like some of the communities
input on past experiences, pros & cons with this lush lake.
I seem to get mostly SW or W rides which are very challanging reaches, if you want to get
back to the beach. South is rad and has no equal, but seldumly occurs. SE is the shit
and guarantees a safe return to the boat launch, but only in my wet dreams.
I have been stranded many times in the middle of the lake and have learned to stuff a
pair of sandles in my wetsuit for the walk back. The SW beaches are, I think basalt or lava rock
which makes Lincoln Beache's shallows feel like DR. Sholes gel inserts.
I like Mona for its semi-big swell in high winds, incredible diversity of waterfoul (on the east side.. in the wetlands),
great rigup area within 10 steps from the water, There is always some innocent bystandard available for a kite launch or land,
boaters are almost always right there when you need a lift, and the babes are almosts always dripping wet...after getting out of the water 8) .
I dont have any negitive's for Mona except, there are no restrooms outside your wetsuit, the launch area is infested with goatheads,
no wind meter, and on SW wind, the boat launch has a nifty, cutesie, stick it right up you ars, little wind shadow which makes it very frustrating to reach in light
winds or if you are struggling with too much kite.

If I had to rate Mona on a scale from 1-10 it would be a cool #7

*effort and skill needed to have fun
brutal

*travel time from Salt Lake
substantial

*total visual enjoyment
extreme

*fisical pain from plantlife
it depends on if you have a vagina or not

*reliability of wind
your in Utah, you figure it out

*female wildlife
very good

*Stinky Rush like mud
N/A except on east side where all the birds poo

*rails and gaps
they are there if you look, yes there is a rail but it is my secret and I'm not telling

*butter
about one mile of the best butter... at a price,,,, it smells like....................

*Fee
of course its free

God bless kiteboarding

I will try to optain an east side launch from a land owner for that SSB or DC feel if anyone is interested?
David Kyle

Re: MONA'S RULES AND REGULATIONS

Postby BradHuber » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:13 pm

How about Mona's "Hours of Operation"??

Haven't ridden Mona yet. I'm wondering on a day like tomorrow (or Wednesday). When Craig predicts afternoon / pm south winds. Is it usually good for the dinner sesh or is it more of a shut off by 5 pm thing?
BradHuber

Postby David Kyle » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:14 pm

Sorry I missed your post.
Today Tues, would have been rad, 7M from 12-6 according to the wife.
I have usually been able to ride Mona on a good south day
anywhere from 10:00-4:00 5ish. Try not to be out on the lake past that time or pay a wicked price. It does seem to play by the same rules as
Rush I think, but I just dont know the real facts, I'm still learning how to make it my one and only
lover. Hope you made it and survived.

Take Mona Exit. Travel through town west. Go to far west side of lake on main road and look for a paved road on right
leading twards lake, not marked. I think there is only one paved raod on that side of lake. If you reach a downhill canyon
you went to far. Go all the way to boat ramp.
David Kyle

Postby BradHuber » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:57 pm

Thanks for the info. I made it out to Lindon tonight instead. What happens at Mona in the evenings? That's my main riding time :).

I've been to the boat ramp you mentioned once before when I was just starting. Never got on the water though.
BradHuber

Postby David Kyle » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:06 pm

I never see Mona blowing past 5 unless it is storming or a strong front is coming, neither
of which should be played with at Mona in the evening. Boats go home early in those cases
and you'll be on your own. That lake is not exactly the safest of body of water to begin with.
Last edited by David Kyle on Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Kyle

Postby David Kyle » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:54 pm

Past the gate at the boat ramp is PP. A five dallar fee will get you a nice parking spot within steps
from shore. Mind you, The property owner is very nice, just as long as you pay the box. There is a contact #
at the gate (otherwise park outside). A warning to anyone who comes to Mona, I have been raging the hell out of Mona's shallows and now Moms and Dads
are getting mildly conserned with having such high powered equipment around thier children.
Just be nice, considerate and overall, responsible. I have had to flag out a couple times because there were children downwind of my landing spot.
It sucked to clean up the mess but I want to be welcome and keep riding Mona.
David Kyle

Return to Main Message Board